PDA

View Full Version : Acquisition Devices

sbrandt
05-20-2003, 12:05 AM
Among you folks in the know... which is a better camera -- the Canon XL1-S or the JVC GY-DV500? And for what reasons?

(I went to design school and learnt how to say, "acquisition". It only cost me $50,000.):rolleyes:

videoguy
05-20-2003, 07:49 AM
I perfer the GY-DV500 I think it produces a better picture quality also it is also much easier to should fits on quality professional tripod heads with out adpaters. i persoanlly love this camera i have 4 of them and they are awesome

sbrandt
05-20-2003, 03:13 PM
How do Audio functionalities compare?

WizCraker
05-20-2003, 07:10 PM
I would suggest you take a look at DV-Central, DVInfo, DVi Community, to read reviews of both cameras.

JVC-DV500 Reviews DVCentral (http://www.dvcentral.org/gy-dv500.html).

and the

Canon XL1-S Reviews DVCentral (http://www.dvcentral.org/xl1.html) and DVInfo (http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/index.php)

sbrandt
05-22-2003, 12:04 PM
I was leaning toward the JVC, ...I started to order one this morning, and discovered why they are priced like the XL1s. The JVC comes without a $1,500 LENS! So it turns out that the COMPLETE Canon XL1s is the far better deal after all!
I'll be ordering it Friday.

(Unless there's anyone here who knows where I can get a suitable lens on the cheap... Or maybe somebody has a DV500 they'd like to get out of for close to purchase price so you can upgrade to the DV5000...fer instance.)

Jim Capillo
05-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Don't forget the Panasonic AG-DVX100 24p camera. I've got one and I love it. I did side by side picture comparisons and it blows away the Sony, Canon and JVC comparable models (IMHO, of course :D ). You must control lighting when in 24p mode, but if you do, the picture is remarkable. The stock wide angle lens is super nice, too.

Do yourself a favor and roadtest one before you buy anything.

sbrandt
05-22-2003, 06:36 PM
Jim,

By comparable Canon and JVC models, do you mean the XL1s and DV500 specifically?

I'm currently reviewing the Panasonic AG-DVX100 manual.
There are five things that concern me.
One: the camera has a condensation sensor that shuts the camera off automatically. The process to dehumidify and reset is slightly more than simple. (the middle of Iowa can get real humid!)...
Two: the LP mode produces mosaic artifacts (significant enough that the manual warns about them) thereby limiting quality recording time to 60 minutes...
Three: the 24progressive uses a rather slow speed...
Four: 80minute tapes won't work with it...
and Five: if the lens is damaged the entire camera is totalled.

HOWEVER; the other specs look FANTASTIC !!!
The idea of 24p and getting to create something "film-like" and art quality has the muses flitting around my head already !!! And the claims and testimonials for image clairity and color put Canon and JVC in a bad light...

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm looking at this one REAL hard.

Plus it would go nicely with my Vegas Video 4 !

sbrandt
05-22-2003, 06:54 PM
P.S. Six... it doesn't look nearly as sexy and the XL1s.
(Clients can be real subjective)