PDA

View Full Version : converting surface settings to UVmaps?

wellsichris
03-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Is there a way to convert a surface setting to a UVmaps? Like if I had a box and front projected something to it in modeler. When you move the box the image stays and the box moves. if it was a UV map when you move the box it would stick to the box. or if you moved the top poly it would stretch. where projecting it doens't.

So basically is there a way to freez the image to the object and have it instantly create a uvmap?

thanks
chris

ChrisPitts
03-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi Chris.

The good news, is that you can set up a video clip the same way as you would set up a still image for use with a UV map.

The bad news, is that it would need to be converted to an image sequence for screamernet, and even then, it's questionable as to whether it would work.

It should be fine for single-box rendering, though. :thumbsup:

[edit] I suppose I didn't understand the question. Probably the best way would be to use the right type of projection when you create the UV map. Then, you'd only have to tweak it. Or just use Surface Baker. I guess it depends on what you're doing.

ercaxus
03-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Is there a way to convert a surface setting to a UVmaps? Like if I had a box and front projected something to it in modeler. When you move the box the image stays and the box moves. if it was a UV map when you move the box it would stick to the box. or if you moved the top poly it would stretch. where projecting it doens't.

So basically is there a way to freez the image to the object and have it instantly create a uvmap?

thanks
chris
Have you tried surface baker?

TheDude
03-09-2006, 07:35 AM

Maybe I'm missing your point here...but why not just create a UV map for the polygon(s) and use UV projection instead of planar etc...?

wellsichris
03-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for replying everyone. the situation was I made a model in lighwave and did the texturing and what not and had it all setup how I wanted but without uv maps. then Someone needed it in another program so I had to go back and create uv's and redo all my work. it would have been nice to just say. okay now create UV map. instead of going in and haveing to redo things. Surface baker would have worked but wouldn't have been quite as fast. would have been faster than what I did :) So that looks like the best option.

thanks for the help

chris

mkiii
03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Ok Assuming you used nothing but standard mapping.
I will use a simple box with one 1 image planar mapped onto it in Z, and the scale set to .5 for all axes, so it tiles.

Do this in modeler:-

1)With the model in view, and a uv window open somewhere, create a new UV map from the menu on the screen bottom, or the Map/Texture/Make UVs menu. Don't bother ticking the Initial Value button.

2)Open up the Texture Editor for that surface, so the scale, Position, Rotation tabs are visible.

3)Select Texture Guide from the More section of the previous menu.
4)Press n to bring up the numeric panel unless it is already in view.
5)Select the relevant surface on the 2nd button down, do so even if it is already listed & select the Surface name you are working with.
6)Note that the size, rotation & axis settings are copied.
7)Make sure that your UV map is the one shown in the list near the bottom if you have more than one.
8)Click on the Make UVs button and your UVs appear with exactly the same settings as they were, but UV mapped.
9)Repeat for other surfaces, or layers using this Texture map. Note: they can all go on the same UV map if you want, and same surface. If you have more than one texture map, then you can either use different layers or surfaces.

Note that tiled, and/or rotated image settings from the surface/texture editor might mean that your UVs look like they are overlapping the UV grid, or much bigger/smaller - don't worry about that.