PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Lightwave with some 3D game engine?

dtkalcec
03-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm still looking for a 3D game engine for an experimental "space game" for which I've started designing models in Lightwave.

Now ... after looking at a number of 3D game engines, I can't find any that would be able to import Lightwave models and scenery. Is someone using Lightwave with a good 3D games engine (DirectX or OpenGL) and would be willing to share the information where they got it?

Thank you! :)

ItsPete
03-08-2006, 03:25 PM
check out

on the mac
http://otee.dk/unity/

on the pc
http://www.beyondvirtual.com/sitenew/

for unity you'll need the fbx exporter. think beyondvirtual supports native lw files.

dtkalcec
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks! I've ordered my "Beyond Virtual" Indi license now.

I'm still not sure if this was the best option, since I've found a number of other 3D engines which seem to be a lot more mature. But, after having a look at some demos, it looks to me as though BV is offering the best integration with Lightwave, for a solid price.

And ... I'd really hate to see my Lightwave installation "collecting dust", now that I've gotten used to it :D

ItsPete
03-09-2006, 03:46 PM
tough to go wrong for only $150! don't know of course what the commercial lic will be but what the hay? let me know how it's working. i'm using unity for my current project because i want check it out and want to work in a mac pipeline atm. but i'm sure i'll do something with bv later... good luck with it!

dtkalcec
03-09-2006, 04:16 PM
tough to go wrong for only $150!

Tell that to my wife :eek:

I'm still doing this for the fun of it, so ... every $ I spend, which wasn't absolutely necessary, is money thrown away.

One thing I can say now is that BV documentation leaves a lot to wish for. I've now read all the docs I could find, but I don't think I would be capable of writing anything more complex than a simple "marbles game".

Even though it has a World editor (it's like a cripled version of LW's Layout), you can only import existing objects, but you can't do any kind of object editing (only move and rotate). So, another thing I miss a lot is a Terain editor (like the one in Torque), where I could create my outdoors without having to import an object created with some other third-party tool.

I thought about creating the terrain in Vue 5 (which came with my Lightwave package). The idea of creating nice looking plants and stuff sounded very good, until I've tried using Vue and "planted" a few trees on a simple scenery. But, 30.000 polygons for a single tree just doesn't sound right.

Well ... this isn't the first and probably won't be the last app I bought, just to have it uninstalled after playing with it for a few days.

richdj
03-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I was recently looking for a game engine and went with Game Studio A6 (http://www.3dgamestudio.com/) I was drawn to this having purchased the Lost Pencil Games tutorial (http://www.lostpencil.com/justanimate_ga.html).... The only thing is, you'll need to look at Greenbriarstudios (http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/) for the plugins to import environments, LW models to Gamestudio maps...

Hope this helps...

Rich

dtkalcec
03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
I've been looking at 3D Game Studio for a while, but their Trial version (latest is from 2004?) didn't even give me the opportunity to test anything. Immediately after install, I got the message "Your Trial period has expired", which was strage, since that was my first install ever.

It also looks like their engine hasn't been updated since 2004, so I didn't dare to pay for something that could be dying out soon. How are you sattisfied with 3D Game Studio? Does it require a lot of coding to build a decent game?

ItsPete
03-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Tell that to my wife :eek:

i hear that! like lw and vue wasn't bad enough! but i wouldn't give up on bv yet. surf their forums a bit. sounds like they're improving the docs soon. yeah you're supposed to use lw for your geo. the world editor is more for putting it all together i believe. 3dgs is ok but bv seems like it's more a next gen dev app even though it's still pretty much beta. plus the cross platform stuff.

also don't give up on vue... you can reduce polys pretty well with it. i haven't used it enough to remember exactly how (as in which button) but i took an 8 mil poly terrain down to a few hundred with some nice results. didn't really try trees yet. seems like how vue handles polys isn't what you want to output if that makes sense (kinda like zbrush?). and hey lw dragnet on a plane works nice too...

lilrayray77
03-10-2006, 05:46 AM
I have 3D Game Studio and it is pretty good. If you can find a Lightwave import you should be well off. Unfortunately though, right now it on ly supports one material per object so you have to us only UVs. Also I don't b eleivee the shaders are all thaat great so take that into consideration. And lastly - pro is the only one with at least close to complete features and it's $900.

richdj
03-10-2006, 06:24 AM
I've not had chance to do alot in Game studio, just playing around with little bits, but it's quite evident that you can do basic games without any coding knowledge (I don't have any), but those that can code can do alot more.. The lost pencil tute comes with an importer for animated objects and you can bring in baked UV maps. Greenbriar have an animation importer and a map importer, the later has a plugin for bringing in WADs to LW.. Gamestudio updates every couple of years or so, so there should be an update coming. They also have a forum which has a wealth of knowledge.. Prices start from $50 and each version can be upated...

Rich

Sam_Horton
03-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I've been using the Torque engine for a while now and am quite pleased with how well it supports Lightwave. Torque costs only $100 to license for indie developers, and was used to create tribes 2.

Another thing about the Torque engine is the huge community that supports and develops it. The engine is constantly getting updates and modifications by the employees at garage games, and reqular developers post their updates which you can use freely use.

check out the garage games site (www.garagegames.com)

And if that wasn't cool enough:

David Wyand wrote the LW to Torque exporter and out of all the exporters for all the other 3d apps, this one is by far the most feature rich.
Lightwave exporter (www.gnometech.com/index.shtml)

Atlantis_C
03-23-2006, 11:18 AM
"One thing I can say now is that BV documentation leaves a lot to wish for."
They have not released v1.0 as of yet. I think once they release this, there will be more docs. I just purchased LW for use with BV.

If you need scripting done, there is a company that will do scripting for you for a fee.

MentalFish
03-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Being a beta tester of PIM (Poetry In Motion) and having done projects in ShockWave3D, Torque and 3D Game Studio, I can say that PIM blows anything else out of the water. Its not a game engine, but it is extremely simple to script (using JavaScript), and you can do all the development inside of LW, no exporting needed.

perigono
03-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi petterms,

Could you load a PIM project into Director as a .w3d?
Do you know when PIM is going to be released?

MentalFish
03-28-2006, 02:05 AM
PIM is a 3D engine that runs inside of LW, no exporting needed. Release? dont know, but not too far into the future :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3278934

Rayek
05-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Have a look at:

http://www.pimtools.be/

It's really something.

t4d
05-18-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm using Lw with 3D game studio for a commerail production now
LW and the Greenbriarstudios plugins both work pretty well
We're looking to release in about 2 months =)

somnambulance
06-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Unreal Tournement 2007 sould be out soon and I am sure it will have the new version of UnrealEd packed in with it. The new editor is supposed to work on PC and now Mac as well. I would say that the Unreal engine is hands down the best and easiest way for a Lightwave user to get started with realtime 3D graphics. If you dont want to wait a few months, get Unreal Tournament 2004, shouldnt be more than $50.

acocq
06-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Another option may be OGRE3D ... it's GPL, so it's free (pretty good price, I'd say) and it has a lot of nice features. I'm helping someone out creating content with LW and exporting it to OGRE3D (via Blender).

I also own 3DGameStudio (Pro-version ... try explaining that to your wife as a necessary expense for a hobby ...) and Torque.

I could never get a handle on Torque, although I have seen some amazing things done with it.

For my dabbling, 3DGS was the right choice ... although I am now getting into ORGE3D.

And yes, the Greenbriar tools are pretty good (I did some beta-testing for him).

Cheers,
Andreas

Lamont
06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
3DGS was cool, but I moved on and gave away the Lic... not worth it IMHO. Torque stuff is fine, I like it, and the $400 price is perfect.

Next engine I am gonna get is going to be the 2D game studio from GG. $100.

What I don't like about most engines is that it REQUIRES programmers to compile. I've dealt with programmers givinig up, or biting off more than they can chew.. so something I can script (UT2k4) is all I need.

acocq
06-21-2006, 09:09 AM
I've had some mixed experiences with 3DGS as well ... :agree:

I just purchased a license for "Beyond Virtual" ... it's still a bit "rough around the edges", but one thing it does really well is provide a great art pipeline because it can read LWO and LWS files directly ! :dance:

No need to do a BSP-compilation or anything like that !

They use AngelScript for coding (haven't actually worked that part yet).

The Indie License costs $150 and they should be out of beta before too long.

Cheers,
Andreas

lilrayray77
06-24-2006, 09:11 AM
PIM tools looks great. I think I'll look ino that. I was looking into ogre 3D but it seems like it is only an OGL sdk and has no physics, shaders, etc. Anyone here use Ogre 3D as there game engine?

lilrayray77
06-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Oh and a couple more questions: First off, what is the expected price for PIM tools? Also, how would a game created in PIM run well if it is compiled into a single exe?

Lamont
06-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Ogre has shaders, and I am sure there is a physics system. But without a programmer to compile the source you will not get anywhere.

Did you DL the demo's made with Ogre?