PDA

View Full Version : The bone doesnt move the wing

DiedonD
03-08-2006, 07:22 AM
I have this bat for a tutorial. And even though Ive done weights for wings, named them rightly (lefwing, rightwing) and converted skelegons to bones, and put the right weight for the right bones, even parented the bone layer to the model bat layer, and still the bones stick out from the bat without moving the wings. Now what am I missing...

SaturnX
03-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Are the bones actually attached to the object?
(Bones options/'Use bones from object' option)
if the bones are a seperate layer, you need to tell the object mesh, what the bone layer is...
IE: select your mesh, then hit the bones properties... and from the drop down menu.. ('use bones from object') ... select the bones/skelegons layer.

Also, are the bones active ?

SplineGod
03-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Make sure the skelegons are either in the same layer as the object or use Saturns suggestion :)
I also have a free rig on my website you can download that has a similar setup but uses no weight maps

DiedonD
03-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Are the bones actually attached to the object?
(Bones options/'Use bones from object' option)
if the bones are a seperate layer, you need to tell the object mesh, what the bone layer is...
IE: select your mesh, then hit the bones properties... and from the drop down menu.. ('use bones from object') ... select the bones/skelegons layer.

Also, are the bones active ?

I tried both. I tried using the layer where there are skelgons. ANd after seeing that in the tutorial the same bat is flapping wings, and I saw that its bone properties were selected to (self) then I tried that one too. Ironically my bat wont move the same as the bones do, while the ready prepared one does. And they seem 100% accurate?

Yes the bones are sure active.

SaturnX
03-08-2006, 08:42 AM
I tried both. I tried using the layer where there are skelgons. ANd after seeing that in the tutorial the same bat is flapping wings, and I saw that its bone properties were selected to (self) then I tried that one too. Ironically my bat wont move the same as the bones do, while the ready prepared one does. And they seem 100% accurate?

Yes the bones are sure active.

Having the bone properties set to self, is necessary, if your skelegons were on the same layer as your mesh, within modeler. Just like splinegod said
In terms of the deformation of the mesh, assuming that your geometry is setup in such a way that the mesh can deform correctly in relation to the bones...
Go to the object properties of your wing mesh, and under subdivision order.. set 'last' from the drop down menu. This will allow you to preview the actual deformations of your mesh better.
also, if your bones are on a seperate layer, are they aligned with your mesh correctly before becoming active ?

It might be a good idea to start over. and maybe put your skelegons on the same layer as your mesh, and then in layout, reconvert the skelegons to bones, then see if it works out , 2nd time around.

EDIT: you might wanna try it without the weightmaps first. it might be a weight map issue you have, as opposed to an actual bone issue.

dablan
03-08-2006, 01:04 PM
died - send me the scene and I'll see what's up.

SplineGod
03-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I agree about trying it without weight maps first. That way you can determine, as Saturn suggested, if its a bone problem or weight map problem. Its better to do any weight mapping last (if needed) after testing bone deformations first. Zip up the file and post it up here. :)

DiedonD
03-09-2006, 01:37 AM
First of all, sorry for the delay, but I live in Europe, so its a time zone issue, I leave work when its early morning in some cases.

Here are the two bats. One that I just need to move its wings at least (named Mustmakenastybatfly) , and the other that is all fit to fly (named batbone). Im showing you the two cause I think that they are all identical, while my bat ironically wont fly and the other does :cursin:

For learning purpases I need to make this exact file of mine move. I cannot go on by skipping a step, and I cannot change the object and make another one move instead. It has all the right stuff, thus it must move, logically speaking of course.

Alright...lets see what Ive done wrong :)

DiedonD
03-09-2006, 01:55 AM
What I also found strange was that once I weighted the bats left wing the other wing became weighted automatically without symmetry being on. Maybe that gives more clues at why my bat wont move its wing accordingly to bones.

SplineGod
03-09-2006, 02:13 AM
You didnt include the bat object :)

DiedonD
03-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Dammn...I thought scenes automatically pick up their objects and come together... this is embarasing...
HEre are the objects, Nastybat should be for my scene, and batbone is for the ready made scene named with the same name. Unless batbone works for both, Im nost so sure now..:hey:

SplineGod
03-09-2006, 03:14 AM
It worked fine for me.
Select nastybat in layer 1
Click the bones button and hit the p key to bring up the bones properties panel.
Select use bones from object ------> Layer 2
After that it works fine.

DiedonD
03-09-2006, 03:19 AM
I just tried it SplineGod. What you say still doesnt works for me. But if I put bones on the same layer where the bat is, then it works for some reason. Now why on earth would I have such a problem? Isnt this suppose to be an optional issue? It was suppose to be like I can leave bones at whichever layer I choose to, as long as I tell Lightwave where to find the bones. For some reason it looks like I can only animate IF the bones are in the same layer as the model.

But at least theres a way right. Thanks for your effort guys I appreciate it.

SplineGod
03-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Im not sure why its not working for you. It works fine here. I usually leave the bones in the same layer as the object they will be deforming.
I also rarely use skelegons when rigging. I find it alot easier and more convenient to do the bone rigging in layout. :)

dablan
03-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Died -
see my email to you. Basically what SG is saying is that you need your bones to be attached to your object.

Do the following:

Your bones are not deforming your object, ie, they're not attached.
You can cut and paste them into the object layer in Modeler (if skelegons).
Or, do this:

Select the object in Layout.
Then press the bones button at the bottom of the interface.
Press the p key for the Properties panel.
At the top of the panel, look for "use bones from"
Then, select the layer that the bones are in... perhaps layer 2?

Close the panel, make sure the bones are active in Layout, then
rotate one of them. See if the model moves.

Dan