PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave's 3D competition killer

ackees
03-08-2006, 02:39 AM
The new system of free and clear training videos.

The only thing NT need to do now is integrate them into a unified system with the other training material.
The system should work a bit like the new node editor:
select a subject and follow the training along the path.

The mistake made in the past is that the videos began with the introduction of a new vers but slowed or stopped on full release. If NT could could continue releasing videos throughout the life of the vers. number and at the current pace they will exponentially grow their user base.

lardbros
03-08-2006, 03:17 AM
It's true it's a great idea... it does take a lot of time and effort i'd imagine, but even the simplest videos could make someone think "OOh, i'm sure my software can't do that! I'll buy into Lightwave"

The more videos the better, and it also gives a good starting point for people new to 3d in general and new to Lightwave.

The problem before has been that when the new version is actually released, the videos do slow down, when there is still so much to learn even from old features. Although the LW8 vids have plenty to help too.

It's just a shame the LW8 videos are so disorganised, it's not easy having them appear in date order, it means nothing at all. At the bottom of the LW8 vids they did start putting them in some kind of order, but it soon stopped when the rest of the series of tutorials never appeared. I'd still love to see the lighting part 2 video, the first one was brilliant.

I say to Newtek, get some buttons at the top of the screen that will take you to a section on Animation/Modelling/Texturing etc and then have the videos laid out (possibly colour coded so it's even easier to pick them out). This way we can quickly browse for what we're after rather than read through every video in date order. :thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2006, 06:04 AM
Videos actually didnt stop after 8 came out....have a look in the tutorials section. More videos were made after 8 was released then before it was released.

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Look here:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.php

ackees
03-08-2006, 06:54 AM
It's the quality, focus, and intensity of purpose of the current 9 series videos that seem to stand out - a definite shift up in gear.

NT could build a help system that used these and ship it on dvd with the final product. So you could go to help and get the normal text and images in the manual and also the relevant videos in the right place to be meaningful when combined with other standard material - raw power.
The other thing is that the quality of the NT videos will force the bar up for commercial videos - product enrichment.
I think that NT could open this up also to accelerate the process, create open video training competitions, so that users could submit their solutions and win a prize, and even showcase their work and skills through the process (I bet many would help for free). This would create a 'buzz' that would attract a lot of positive attention.

lardbros
03-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Videos actually didnt stop after 8 came out....have a look in the tutorials section. More videos were made after 8 was released then before it was released.

Absolutely, and it's a good thing. :thumbsup: I am really liking the regularity and quality of the current videos, and despite being a huge undertaking, it would be incredible if it carried on at such regular intervals. There would be a huge following, say every 2 weeks a new video was released showing non-conventional uses for a standard tool, or even just basics... there is always something to learn because different people work in totally differing ways.

You and the rest of the team putting the vids together are doing a hugely commendable job... and the new look is bloody spot on, looking very professional and complete!! :D

jcarey
03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I'd agree that having the videos is great. I was watching some of the V9 vids and saw the one on changes to multishift. I hadn't really looked at what changes were in V8.5 so didn't know there WAS a multishift to be changed :) Now I know and I'm happily multishifting.

WilliamVaughan
03-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Two videos were create dabout Mulitshift when 8.5 was about to be released:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.php

Weetos
03-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Totally agree with ackees. I think the intro/outro screens give a 'Pro' and official look, that the previous series (7.X/8.X) might have missed. That's definately a good move imho :thumbsup: