PDA

View Full Version : Layout Bone Creation-Editing... Unstable?

teremo
03-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I am kind of new to Lightwave 8.5 so I am wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before:

When I work in Layout and I create bones and I edit bones, but especially when I clear bones in Layout, Layout crashes and closes on me with the typical Windows error and the "send report or don't send report" window.

Is this normal and/or is there anything I can do?

My computer is a 2400 Athlon XP with 512 MB Ram and a GeForce FX 5xxx something videocard with 128 MB memory.

Lightwave is version 8.5.

Thanks for your help and comments. I would really appreciate any help because it is very hard to work in Layout if it closes on me during the bone creation process.

Teremo

SplineGod
03-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Ive had it happen a couple of times :)

teremo
03-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Hello Splinegod,

Thank you for your reply.

I am wondering, if I choose the automatic save every 1 minute or so from the Hub (so that I can avoid losing a lot of work if it gives me an error) , where do the files get saved?

Thank you.

Teremo

SplineGod
03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Im not sure where it saves stuff by default. Ive seen it save on the C drive somewhere by default. Mine was under the documents and settings in a temp/lwhub folder

teremo
03-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Oh I see... That's good to know.

Do you know if and where I can customize the location where the hub saves my files automatically?

Thanks for your help.

Teremo

DavidL
03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
When I work in Layout and I create bones and I edit bones, but especially when I clear bones in Layout, Layout crashes and closes on me with the typical Windows error and the "send report or don't send report" window.

Is this normal and/or is there anything I can do?

I have also noticed the same problem when trying to clear bones using Clear Selected. But then I started using Delete Bone from the Setup tab instead and it worked fine.

SplineGod
03-08-2006, 10:39 PM
It doesnt happen to me all the time but it has bit me once or twice :)

Dodgy
03-09-2006, 03:33 AM
The only problem I've had when drawing bones, is if the Properties panel is open. Then LW can get a bit stuck when drawing the first bone. It's a bug which I've reported :P

SplineGod
03-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Had that happen a time or two as well :)

adrencg
03-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I definitely have serious crashing issues with bone deletion. If I've had Lightwave open for more than 5 minutes(leads me to believe its a memory issue), it will crash about 75% of the time when deleting a bone. Annoying...

Mike

teremo
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi Mike,

I fixed the problem by adding RAM to the computer. Now the bone delete command does not give the error anymore.

Teremo

adrencg
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi Mike,

I fixed the problem by adding RAM to the computer. Now the bone delete command does not give the error anymore.

Teremo

I have 4 gigs...shouldn't that be enough? Maybe its the type of RAM.

Mike

teremo
03-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Mike,

Did you try lowering your UNDO levels in Layout?

It works with me if I keep it at 5.

Teremo

Giacomo99
03-26-2006, 09:05 AM
My experience has been that deleting bones causes Layout to crash *only when the bones are attached to a character* (or whatever.)

So then, the easy solution (for me at least) is to make sure no geometry is using a bone I'm trying to delete. It's not a solution, but it is helpful.

GM

adrencg
03-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Mike,

Did you try lowering your UNDO levels in Layout?

It works with me if I keep it at 5.

Teremo

I'll try that. I don't even use Undo because it also made Lightwave crash. So, even after cutting my crashing in half by not undoing, I'm still left with the nasty "bone delete" thing which is just barely tolerable. I yell out the F-word a lot less now, so my wife is happy.

Mike

(EDIT)

I set undo levels to 1. Still doesn't change anything