PDA

View Full Version : Data sharing between LW scene files

larkis
03-07-2006, 01:11 AM
I have noticed a few shortcomings in Lightwave when working on complex multi layered scenes that are meant to be assembled in compositing. Mainly, the lack of data "subscribing" to other scenes.

Let me describe my working scenario, and if anyone with more experience has a better solution or idea (or existing way) of doing this, some tips would be greatly appreciated.

When working on large scenes, i frequently set up my camera motion and populate the scene with low proxy elements in order to determine relationships when animating. For example a big city on water would have a city element, water, terrain it's standing on, etc..
I will typically save out 3 LW scene files, with each scene file having each of those elements flagged for rendering, and sometimes unnecessary objects removed.

The problem arises if the relationship between the elements needs to change, or the camera motion needs to be modified. If i have 3 separate scene files opening each one and re importing the camera from the scene i did changes to is not to bad. On the other hand, if i have 25 scene files with many elements, and i need to adjust the camera in all of them, or the location of some object changes which is used as a shadow object, or a mask object, it becomes a huge hassle.

Is there a better way to do this ? I would love to have the ability to link object animation data across scenes, so if i change something in one scene (or some master scene) all the objects update in each version of the scene.

I know that i could have one huge scene and just turn off an on the object i want in each pass, but there is still no ability to use screamer net for batch processing without saving out copies of each version to load into a screamer net render que and re doing all the saving if the scene needs to change...

walfridson
03-07-2006, 02:03 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43405&highlight=referencing
Jeremy made a superscript!