PDA

View Full Version : TranMotion-Mac question

Dorram
03-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok, I'm trying to get TransMotion to work on my Mac. I've done everything the manual states. I've even been emailing Al Street who wrote the plugin. The problem is that it keeps crashing LW when I hit "ok".

Al has tried to help me, but he doesn't have a Mac on hand. Does anyone have any advice they can give from personal experience? Ya know, tricks or tips to get it to work properly. I'm at a loss on what to do so that this thing works.

Jeffers
03-07-2006, 04:51 AM
I use certain elements of the transmotion pack on MAC!
What exactly are you trying to do - convert from which format to what!
Let me know and I'll try and help!

Dorram
03-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Here's the short of what is happening. I'm trying to convert exported LW motion into AE keyframes using the transmotion.lsc. When I hit "ok" it crashes LW. I thought it might be my exported motion from LW, but Al has sent me a file he got to work(on PC) and it crashes on that file as well.

If you use this part of the pack what do you do to get it to work? I'm wondering if the saved version of the .txt file is the wrong format. The docs provided say to save in a DOS format. Al sent me one, but still it crashes.

What list of steps do you take to get this done?

Thanks for the help. :bangwall:

WShawn
03-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Dorram:

Transmotion has been working well for me. I'm using LW 8.3 on a Dual 2.5Ghz G5, OS 10.3.9. Here's a LW to AE test I did that worked successfully.

Create a content directory with folders for Scenes and Motions. Launch LW and set it to the appropriate content directory. Add a null. Go to frame 30, move the null, and create a keyframe. Bring up the graph editor and bake the motion of the null. Save the motion file as "Null Motion Baked".

Launch the Transmotion plugin. Click on the arrow next to Input File and navigate to the "Null Motion Baked" motion file (it should be inside the Motions folder). Select Lightwave 6.x-7.x as the Input Format. Check Convert LW meters to AE pixels (I usually work in 3D space in AE when incorporating LW renders). Select After Effects 4.x-5.x as the Output Format.

You can uncheck "Open in Notepad," but having it checked doesn't seem to hurt things. Select Pos for position, Rotation, and 3D.

"Use File Keyframe Data" and "Flip Y Position Data" should be checked.

Frames per second should match your scene, scale factor 100%. Set the pixel aspect ratio to match your scene camera.

Click OK.

You should find a file in your content directory called Null Motion Baked.aek. Open that up in text edit, select all, copy, then paste that into a 3D null in AE 6.5 or earlier (it appears that AE 7 has a problem with the keyframe data that Transmotion generates-it says it's an invalid clipboard format).

Good luck.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

pantone
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Transmotion has been working fine for me in 8.5 on a Mac.

You might want to check the permissions on your content directory. If they're read only then TMU can't write files there when it tries. I'm guessing this could cause a crash.