PDA

View Full Version : Spiral AROUND a spiral?

Johnny
03-05-2006, 07:20 AM
I can make spirals using the lathe tool, but has anyone made a second spiral which spirals around the first spiral?

I'm envisioning spiral 1 which spirals upward, and the second spiral twined around the first, and who's spiral is looser (fewer turns per unit of distance) than the first.

thanks for any hints!

J

hrgiger
03-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Perhaps I misunderstand the question, but couldn't you just create a second spiral with a larger diameter lathe, and looser spirals so that it sits outside the smaller spiral?

Johnny
03-05-2006, 07:54 AM
well, whereas the first spiral will spiral around a column, the second spiral will spiral around the first spiral..

So, it won't just be 2 spirals going up and around the column.

J

ercaxus
03-05-2006, 10:31 AM
1- Make a spiral curve

2- Apply hairblade

3- Edit blade to increase subdivision and change twist to a very high value, depending on how much you want second spiral to turn around the original

4- Do a freeze blade and on the new mesh created (would be easier if you cut and paste it to another layer), do a select loop on a point row that goes from the bottom all the way to the top of the spiral, and make this a curve. Now this is our second spiral.

5- Select this new spiral and apply hair blade.

6- Go to the first spiral (the one that is still a blade) and change its global h and w size to a smaller number.

7- done :)

Johnny
03-05-2006, 12:52 PM
thank you, ercaxus...

I looked everywhere and couldn't find "hairblade."

is this something that doesn't come with LW, or which is PC-only?

thanks!

J

ercaxus
03-05-2006, 10:48 PM
thank you, ercaxus...

I looked everywhere and couldn't find "hairblade."

is this something that doesn't come with LW, or which is PC-only?

thanks!

J
Sorry I forgot to tell you, it's a plugin and I just checked and it's pc only.
Here's the website if you want to take a look at:
http://d-creation.sakura.ne.jp/plugin.htm

Silkrooster
03-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Are you trying to do like the attached?
Silk

cagey5
03-06-2006, 01:02 AM
He's trying to do as shown in the image posted by Ercaxus.

kruemel_1
03-06-2006, 05:02 AM
You can try the following:
Create the bigger Helix. In a second layer create the smaller helix with the same heigh as the big one and the count of turns equal to your need. Now activate the bigger Helix as Backgroundlayer, start splineguide, choose mode "Bend", push "Get Background". Now your small helix is bend along the big helix.

Red_Oddity
03-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Couldn't you use a Helix as a animation path (or just parent a null with an offset on the x or z axis to a rotating null that moves over the y-axis), bake this path, and use this path to animate another rotating null with another null with an offset (x- or z-axis)

convert path to curve (there a re plugins for this) and improt into modeler.

Red_Oddity
03-06-2006, 05:24 AM
ha, whadaya know, it even works with 3 nulls
see attachment

Johnny
03-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the posts, friends; the image put up by ercaxus is what I'm shooting for. put another way:

start with a spiral. then, the second spiral, in a sense, wraps around the first (however loosely or tightly). So, spiral #2, not only is itself a spiral, but it also moves through space in a spiral direction; that direction defined by the first spiral.

J

ercaxus
03-07-2006, 02:20 AM
You can try the following:
Create the bigger Helix. In a second layer create the smaller helix with the same heigh as the big one and the count of turns equal to your need. Now activate the bigger Helix as Backgroundlayer, start splineguide, choose mode "Bend", push "Get Background". Now your small helix is bend along the big helix.
This one works, I just had to move the curves to make the bigger one flow inside the second curve. I got used to hairblade very much this stuff looks just unnecesarily difficult. I also hate rail extrude :)

Johnny
03-07-2006, 06:38 AM
k...I'm going to give that one a try; thank you!

J

Red_Oddity
03-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Well, i noticed i had a hard time finding a motion to modeler curve plugin...

So, i created one for us LW junkies :p

The zip contains 2 plugins, Motion Export for Layout, and Motion Import for Modeler.

Grab the object whose motion curve you want to use in Modeler in the plugin (set the right start and end frame), give the file a name (xyz.txt for example).
There's no need to bake the objects motion as the plugin grabs the item's worldposition for every frame.

Run Motion Import, select the motion file (for example xyz.txt) and run, done...

It's a pretty nice way to create your spiraled spiral this way, as you can easily tweak the position for this thing using the previous LW scene i posted (or any funky curve shapes...Spirograph anyone :D ).

http://www.houseofsecrets.nl/downloads/hos_motionexportimport.zip

Red_Oddity
03-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Ahwell, while i'm at it...

And yes, i DO have too much time on my hands this week :)

Johnny
03-08-2006, 07:25 AM
wow..pretty cool of you to do that!

J

zardoz
03-14-2006, 02:49 AM
lol...amazing...I love this community. Tx for this Red_Oddity

denoise
06-27-2008, 03:21 AM
WOW Thanks Red Oddity! I can finnaly model those precious ADN multiple wrappings!

Matt
06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Not used it, but this might help also:

Spiral++
http://www.lwita.com/vb/showthread.php?t=907

Matt
06-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Actually, it will only be helpful in the initial spiral creation, if you could specify a spline as a path to generate spirals around it would be ace!