PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop drawing

hrgiger
05-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Excuse the post since this isn't entirely about Lightwave but it is for texturing things in LW.

I'm trying to build the texture for a tiled floor (irregular, not just a regular grid) and I was wondering how to make precise lines in photoshop. I know holding down ctrl will let me draw in a straight line, but how do I do diagonal lines? I guess what I'm wondering is, what's the easiest way to go about this? This is a picture of the floor I'm thinking of, what's the best tools in Photoshop to use for this? Would Illustrator be a better program for this? I've been using photoshop for a long time for textures but I've never had to do anything as precise. Obviously, I don't want to make it look like I did it freehand.

Macet01
05-19-2003, 11:32 AM
I would personally draw the straight lines using control and then go to Free Transform and rotate the lines as you see fit. Obviously, this would all be done in a layer all on its lonesome. This is probably the long way to do it but this is the way that I find easiest. Hope this helps.

mattclary
05-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Good question, I've wondered this myself. Does Adobe Illustrator work better at this kind of thing, perhaps?

Earl
05-19-2003, 12:08 PM
I'd say create the lines in Illustrator or Draw...or some other pure illustration program. Then import the lines into PhotoShop as PSD or similar file format (with a transparent background).

That's what I do when I need fine line work, since then it's easy to expand the resolution of the lines as needed. The only thing I'd worry about is Illustrator's sometimes flakey antialiasing engine when exporting (I've found sometimes a screenshot from Illustrator produces better results than their export dialogue!).

Wade
05-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Photoshop is the way to go.

1. Make a square with the selectin tool hold the control key to get a perfect square.

2. Then under select - modify select boarder to make a line around it. make it one, two, or how ever many number of pixels you like.

3. fill boarder with black or whatever.

4. hit control T ( transform ) and rotate your square 45

5. copy this dinmond as many times as needed.

the rulers and guided lines may come in handy

wade

hrgiger
05-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Good suggestions. Thanks!

Of course, now I've decided the floor is simple enough to actually model in lightwave but that info will definately still come in handy.

Matt
05-19-2003, 12:50 PM
you can use the path tool to draw the outline and 'stroke' it using which ever brush you want to use.

personally I'd create it in Illustrator and export as a Photoshop file, much easier.

Stewpot
05-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Hi hrgiger,

In fact, if you make a point with any of the paint tools, then move the cursor to where you want the line to end, you then press shift, and holding shift down make the second point. This draws a line between the two points. If you continue to hold shift down and make further points you will get a series of straight lines. You can have any angle you like.

Of course you would have to work out the angles to draw the lines at beforehand.

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 05:10 AM
Hello there,

Actually drawing lines in Photoshop is easy.

Select Line tool from the toolbox (pic 1), then pay attention to the options box (pic 2). Here you can find drawing directly on your curently set bitmap ,making path and making shape layer.
Probably you will need fill pixels option. Also in the option box you can specify thickness of the line by entering pixels number, style and would you like to have your line antialiased or not.
Then just draw the line. To make perfectly diagonal lines you might need to pull out rules (pic 3).

That's it. I'm using Photoshop 7 but I'm 99.99999% sure all previous versions have Line tool as well.

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 05:10 AM
pic 2

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 05:11 AM
pic 3

Scolopendra
05-20-2003, 05:13 AM
By the way, how to attach multiple images in one post? If it possible at all?

Matt
05-20-2003, 09:58 AM
multiple images: not using the attach button, but if you link images using the IMG tag in the vB code section you can add as many as you like, but you have to upload them somewhere else first.

it's the one feature I miss from the old forum!

Wade
05-20-2003, 11:01 AM
I liked the old line tool much better in the pre - 7 photoshop, but right you are the most straight forward way to make lines in photoshop THE LINE TOOL!! what was I thinking?:o

ackees
05-20-2003, 03:03 PM
For precision use Illustrator. Make sure AICB is on, make sure preserve paths is on also in preferences, then you can copy and paste the path itself into photoshop, for bitmap transfer (ill 10 Psp 7) just drag & drop (those dirty words again).