PDA

View Full Version : Basic LW Training DVDs...

Kindredmachine
03-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm extremely new to Lightwave 3D and I'm looking for a basic training DVD course for the application. Something that actually walks you through LW step by step with video.

I see there are several courses available on the web; however, wanted to ask which one you think I should order.

Davoid
03-04-2006, 02:55 PM
I have Dan Ablan's "Lightwave 8 Signature course" and find this tutorial series on using Lightwave 8 excellent. It walks you thru the basics to more advanced items. He also takes you thru the construction of different projects.
I am still going thru the series myself and highly recommend it.
I also purchased his "Inside Lightwave 8" book, which is also excellent.

www.3dgarage.com

Dave
(complete beginner with Lightwave)

nathan's dad
03-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I was also looking for training dvd's. I've heard Dan Ablan's 3D Garage was awesome. I was wondering if anyone has tried Kurv Studio's DVD's? And sorry to Dan for hijacking your thread earlier in the week. Didn't mean to.

cresshead
03-05-2006, 06:04 AM
splinegod's videos are awesome

i have sevral o his videos..they're top stuf...easy to learn from too.

http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/

kurv
03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm extremely new to Lightwave 3D and I'm looking for a basic training DVD course for the application. Something that actually walks you through LW step by step with video.

I see there are several courses available on the web; however, wanted to ask which one you think I should order.

We have one of the best selling introduction videos on LightWave, "LightWave From the Begining" by Layne Smith of the Dallas Morning News.

you can view more iniformation about it here.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/

Thanks, let us know if you have any questions... and before you buy anything, be sure to view our free training videos, we have more than 100 hours of free tutorials online.

Enjoy!

dablan
03-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Kindred - you've come to the right place.
Visit www.3dgarage.com
Our 18 hour course takes you from complete newbie in no time. We have people at NASA, the US Air Force, TV Stations, and independent producers using our training. The LightWave 8 course (Signature 8 Courseware) is 18 hours on two DVD-ROMs. It's also $100 off right now and we include a free copy of HDRI 3D magazine while supplies last. More-so, I created this course after years of teaching LightWave to places like ABC-TV in New York, Fox in Minneapolis, CBS in Indianapolis, and many others. Feedback from these people as well as the thousands of people that have contacted me after reading one of my 7 LightWave books since 1996 - has been compiled to make the most comprehensive course for LightWave to date. Books such as the LightWave Power Guide, and the Inside LightWave books have a strong following and these people always let me know what they think and what they want to see in training resources. Read the reviews on the site. Additionally, I've personally trained people at corporations such as Northrup Grumman, Hallmark Cards, and this month Reebok. Feedback from these companies like these is what makes the 3D Garage Courseware so valuable.

If you have any questions, feel free to call our studio at 847 755 4488 or just send me an email directly - dablan at earthlink dot net.

Best of luck in your learning!

And - Nathan's Dad, no worries!
Dan

cresshead
03-05-2006, 08:06 PM
the great thing is that they are all good video trainers [dan, splingod and kurv studios]

something that can't be said of many other training video's for xsi, max, maya, z brush etc.

lightwave seems to breed em!

kurv
03-07-2006, 02:51 PM
the great thing is that they are all good video trainers [dan, splingod and kurv studios]

something that can't be said of many other training video's for xsi, max, maya, z brush etc.

lightwave seems to breed em!

Well LW is a great community... and this is a lot of FUN!!

SplineGod
03-07-2006, 08:49 PM

Thanks Cresshead and Kurv :)

Kindred Machine,
Ive been doing online courses for Lightwave longer then anyone else and includes unlimited online support. My Introduction to LW course is over 35 hours of material. Ive been working in this industry for many years professionally for several studios and on Video game, Film and TV projects. Some of those studios have included places like Netter Digital, Foundation Imaging and Warner Bros Feature Animation. All of that experience has gone into my courses. Ive also done seminars all over the country and have trained people in places like NASAs Jet Propulsion Laboratories, Navy, San Jose Mercury News and many others. I have lots of free videos on my site that you can check out as well. Ive produced a great deal of LW training material that I also sell via KURV Studios. Drop me a line if you have any questions.

[email protected]

DiedonD
03-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey Kindred, here's a suggestion from also a partially little bit more than a complete beginner.

I have Dan Ablans book of Inside Lightwave 7, and I have LW8.5 . And been using it for about a month or so by now. Here's what you should look for.

DONT EVER buy a tutorial book of an earlier version. Think about this one, cause I know that for a beginner the walkthrough wouldnt be smooth enough, thus not giving you calm enough to grab much needed info. Now all the tutorials are for Lightwave 8, but LW9 is coming up. My first suggestions is grab a few info about LW for free and online here and there, until a tutorial for LW9 comes, and then you would have the clear walkthrough that you need.

Secondly, Its nice to have someone that could get you instantly out of muddy trouble, whenever that occurs while you conqeour information and try new things. So, either get tutorials that offer online instant help, or find yourself friends that are in this community. Like prospector for instance.

The two should helo you just fine to pick the right one. See ya

dablan
03-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi Died -
glad you have the books. One thing you can do in LW 8 if using the 7 book is to change the menu configs to match that of LW 7.5. This will help the tutorials along. It's best to learn the program with current learning material, so be careful when purchasing a book or training video, that it is created for your current version. We have LightWave introduction videos for both 7.5 and 8 (our Signature courseware) at 3dgarage.com. When searching video training sites, make sure the introductory courses are current. Once you've learned the program, then you can easily perform older tutorials.