PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime DV files with VT4?

Crom
03-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Hello all,

Have a client that has an external drive full of Mac DV files (from imovie & Idive). That I need to edit on the VT4.5

I don't want to redigitize all the footage (multiple tapes)

Currently VT4.5 supports quicktime .mov files, but not DV files. I have tried
changing the file extensions, but no luck with this.

Regards!
Crom

Rich Deustachio
03-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Purchase Quicktime Pro http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=D3381Z/A it will allow you to convert the files to AVIs that VT will be able to edit.

John Perkins
03-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Uninstall Quicktime and do a search for Quicktime Alternative.

If you rename the files to .avi they should work in VT, but it did seem a little CPU heavy. Windows QT isn't very fast unfortunately.

I needed this a few months ago and got creative ;)

John

Crom
03-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Would rather keep the QT files native or just rename them instead of generating a hard drive full of uncompressed AVi files. Will check these options out, thanks!
Crom

ScorpioProd
03-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Uninstall Quicktime and do a search for Quicktime Alternative.

John

And why do you recommend this???

DonN
03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Would rather keep the QT files native or just rename them instead of generating a hard drive full of uncompressed AVi files. Will check these options out, thanks!
Crom
Batch renaming is real easy and REAL fast. As I understand John's comment, there is no alteration of the "nativeness" of the file. Just that you will use a knockoff QT codec which presumably will look the same. If that bothers you, then I think You're SOL with VT, because it plainly does not play QT format files at this time. Don

stevestrike
03-03-2006, 09:14 PM
What exactly is "knockoff" about QTA? I'm being facetious of course, because QTA is the same codec as 'regular' QT. Unuathorized? Yes. Knockoff? No.

I prefer QTA over Apple's product for all my systems. QT files are an all too frequent fact of life when working with video files, but fortunately the QT player doesn't have to be.

John Perkins
03-03-2006, 09:50 PM
And why do you recommend this???

Because you can't have both on the system. QTA repackages the quicktime codecs as directshow codecs so that Media Player can play newer QT files.

Just so happens that our avi reader seems to be ok with it. If you leave the name .mov then VT doesn't use the right file reader or something. Pretending it is an AVI uses DirectShow and it reads.

QT Alternative IS a hack. I can't say that it is stable or that it will work every time. YMMV.

ScorpioProd
03-04-2006, 12:06 AM
For existing QT files I know QTA worked, but when I tried any QT 7 specific codecs, it didn't work. So for any like myself that need to do H.264 stuff, real QT 7 Pro is the only way to go.

stevestrike
03-05-2006, 02:33 PM
For existing QT files I know QTA worked, but when I tried any QT 7 specific codecs, it didn't work. So for any like myself that need to do H.264 stuff, real QT 7 Pro is the only way to go.

You have to install the latest version of QTA to play the latest QT files, BTW--so if you have QT 7 stuff, you'll need a recent version to play them.