PDA

View Full Version : Spiraling ribbon?

gem
02-16-2003, 04:51 PM
How can I produce a spiraling ribbon like you would get by running a ribbon over a sizzor edge for decorating a ballon or gift package? I've tried using Twist but that gives a twist that is much too tight. The spiral must be soft curling loops.

Skonk
02-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Something like the image attached?

I made it using lathe on a rectagular poly with a rotation of 1000 degrees, 500 segments and a large offset. You could use a lot less segments and SubD the ribbon too.

James..

Dodgy
02-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Create a spline using Create>elements>Spline draw which goes in the way that you want. Then in another layer create a two point poly, using Create>elements>pen which goes at the start of the spline (if you switch to the spline's layer again, and select it, there will be a circle around the start of it)
Then with your 2 point poly in the forground layer and the spline in the back ground layer, use Multiply>extend>railextrude and this will create your ribbon.

gem
02-17-2003, 04:18 PM
:) I was able to get the results I wanted with the Lathe. Thanks!

Skonk
02-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Lathe rocks, its such a usefull tool for doing many things. Everyone knows it for making glasses, vases and bowls etc.. but it has many other uses :) showed some ppl at college the other day how to make a square picture frame by using a 4 sided lathe on a simple cross section, its also good for square tables and things like that too.

James..