PDA

View Full Version : Noob question with regard to imported .ai files

jhopfenblatt
03-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Alright, so I'm a complete LW noob (and I'm working with LW7 in case this could have an effect on the type of answer I'm given), but I made this illustration in illustrator and imported it to LW as polygons:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/Comatosis/pathface3.jpg

Now, my goal is to make an actual face out of it (as in, have the correct curvature and what not). Is there some relatively simple method of accomplishing this beyond editing point by point? I've tried using the magnet tool in the past and it drives me insane (keep in mind I'm a complete newb to 3d modeling), and spline modeling hasn't given me very favorable results in the past either.

Any information is appreciated, thanks a lot.

Lightwolf
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Hm, (if I got you right), I'd start by moving goups of polygons in Z (depth) to try to get the third dimension set as a first step.

Then move on from there an connect the polygons manually (if needed).
If you want to keep the white areas as not modelled you'll probably have to re-build using subdivision surfaces or splines...

Cheers,
Mike

jhopfenblatt
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, I want the face to remain the same (broken up, or however you want to describe it...I guess it'll kinda look like a weird mask of sorts). As for setting the depth, all I did at one point was extrude the polys, but the overall shape of everything is still flat and I want each "section" to be curved.

Man, I'm having a hard time describing this. :(

jhopfenblatt
03-02-2006, 03:34 PM
If you want to keep the white areas as not modelled you'll probably have to re-build using subdivision surfaces or splines...

I guess that's more what I was asking. Is there a tool that lets you make splines out of polys? I tried importing the .ai as splines, but LW was acting screwy on that one (I have a 1.8 Ghz processor so everything runs quite slow).

Lightwolf
03-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Is there a tool that lets you make splines out of polys? I tried importing the .ai as splines, but LW was acting screwy on that one (I have a 1.8 Ghz processor so everything runs quite slow).
Not automatically... You'd have to turn the polygons into spline patches manually. Basically take each polygon (and thank the Lord or whomever that you have symmetry in the object), copy it to a new layer, and manually connect the points to create four splines that run around in (covering one quarter of the total edge each). Connected they should basically form the original polygon. (To make things a bit easier, once you start selecting points, just keep the lmb pressed and move over the other vertices in the right order).

However, spline patches are not "live", so once you've re-created your mesh with splines and defomed them, you'll have to manually turn the patches into polygons...
Any change you do to the mesh -> re-patch. *ouch*

Unfortunately, if you use normal polygons and you start moving point, the polygons will start to be non-planar which results in ugly artifacts when rendering.

Another options would be to model a real,, solid head, and use your image as a clip map in Layout.

Cheers,
Mike

jhopfenblatt
03-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Right now I got done turning all the eye polys to splines, but I still need to give 'em the eyeball shape. I'm working on just one side and then I'll mirror everything once I'm happy with the one side. I guess the reason spline patching didn't work well for me in the past was because I was careless about how many points each of my splines contained, so now I'm trying to do a slightly better job at it.

This is gonna take forever though. <_<

Thanks for the help.

Dexter2999
03-02-2006, 07:30 PM
I have had EPS files that were a little finicky when came to importing them. If you just import them as spline paths that form closed Polys, you can set up a cube with a high subdivision in a another layer. Use the TEMPLATE DRILL >CORE. The high subdivision will let you use the BEND tool to curve it out a little.

Good Luck.