PDA

View Full Version : Newtek and Bug report very upset!

Lightsurfer
05-19-2003, 06:40 AM
When the 7.5b update was out I reported a bug about spreadsheet and unseen by alpha bank option.
Once the option is checked you cant unchek it, probably because now this property is a multichoice option.
I'm very upset with Newtek! When i reported the bug via email, no reply was sent and now that the 7.5c was out I understood that my bug report was ignored.
Thank you Newtek!

Maurizio Memoli
Digitrace Tek

cavalos
05-19-2003, 01:10 PM
donīt get mad pal. they are very busy theese days with all those problems intrroduced in 7.5b version the new staff and so on...letīs give them a chance and you will see the best 3d software the world have ever seen when LW8 arrives.

Best
Christian

Doran
05-19-2003, 09:44 PM
You seem very upset and I have to admit I would be a little niffed if I felt ignored after I went to the trouble to report a bug.

Try not to let it bother you so much.. report the bug again just in case they missed your first report. If the bug is causing you so much trouble that you just can't work in Lightwave, call tech support or email them directly, then if they can't figure it out they'll report the bug as well.

jimnokc
05-21-2003, 09:26 AM
If I've found the right bug, I've found a workaround for it.

I tried toggling "Unseen by Alpha" under the "Object Properties:Render Flags" It will toggle on, but not off like everything else.

However, if you select that checkbox and then use the three buttons in the lower left corner (Unchecked, Checked, and Toggle) you can toggle the state of "Unseen by Alpha"

Hopefully I'm looking at the right place and this helps.

jimnokc
05-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Sadly my "solution" was just an illusion. Clicking Apply caused it to revert back.

You can change the value on the item property dialog under the render tab though, that seems to work fine.

Sorry for any confusion on the first suggestion!

private
05-22-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by cavalos
donīt get mad pal. they are very busy theese days with all those problems intrroduced in 7.5b version the new staff and so on...letīs give them a chance and you will see the best 3d software the world have ever seen when LW8 arrives.

Best
Christian

This response would be just a cop out. I fully agree. If a bug can be pinpointed, it should be taken care of. In addition, Newtek should send out an email, saying they've gotten your email and thanking you for pointing out the bug. And when it is fixed, they should email you saying, thank you and the bug is fixed. It wouldn't be that much trouble, really. Kept in the data base, name of the bug, people that reported it and when it was fixed. Logged.

This would be not only good customer service, but would improve their product. The fact that bugs are accepted is wrong. The fact bugs are tolerated is more accurate, but still not a good thing.

WizCraker
05-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Apparently you guys have never been on the Quality assurance side. If you are not in house and have direct contact with the programmers you usually never hear back from anyone when you report a bug. It gets noted put in their database for known bugs, and usually the bugs are rated on importance. Granted you can have the mind set that all bugs are important but others are more mission critical. Eventually that bug will be addressed in a later build. You also have to remember fixing bugs is not always the easiest thing to do. You may say that it is in a certain area in the program and should be easy for fellow programmers to spot the problem, but in actual the problem could be related from something else that is buried deep within the code.

jimnokc
05-24-2003, 09:02 AM
I've worked as a programmer on a fairly large scale product. On of the biggest problems I've encountered is the bugs not being reported to the proper people in the proper manner. It doesn't hurt to follow up in a couple of days and make sure the bug has been entered in the company's change control database otherwise the programmers will never know about it.

Bug fixes for problems with workarounds are usually given the lowest priority too. They fall into the "we'll fix it when we've got spare time." Unfortunately, communicating the workarounds is often a problem as well.

Trust me on this one, whether you're talking about a programmer that's been around for years or a brand new guy who just started working on the project, they ultimately want to crank out a (mostly) bug-free product jam-packed with features. The final product is a direct reflection of the programmers skills and talents. Of course there are some great programmers out there who can crank out some nifty features, but at the same time introduce a lot of bugs. Many times this is just a lack of understanding of some underlying piece of code. I always preferred to call those bugs "undesirable side effects" ;)

This particular bug sounds like it's probably one of those 5-minute fixes so my guess would be that it never made it to the programmers. This would have (probably) been something someone could've knocked out very quickly.

WizCraker
05-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jimnokc
I've worked as a programmer on a fairly large scale product. On of the biggest problems I've encountered is the bugs not being reported to the proper people in the proper manner. It doesn't hurt to follow up in a couple of days and make sure the bug has been entered in the company's change control database otherwise the programmers will never know about it.

Yeah I would have to agree with this. When I was testing or and using a product after its been released I've always had direct contact with dev team. If the bug never makes it to the database then we all know what happens.

preferred to call those bugs "undesirable side effects" ;)

hehe.