PDA

View Full Version : VT2 crahes while creating CG during broadcast

fbcamory
05-18-2003, 11:56 PM
While using CG during a live broadcast with CAPTURE running, VT completely crashes. This only seem to happen during the Capture although there have been times the crash has occurred while CG is not being used.

Our distrubutor says the problem is something related to CG and we could buy a third part CG that works well with VT2. Of course this means more money, and seeing that the system we have is less than 6 months old, I will not follow this advice.

Apparently there is not an answer my vendor can give me. Does any one have similar problems and possibly a suggestion.

Jim Capillo
05-19-2003, 06:03 AM
Wait a few days until VT[3] is released. The CG has been overhauled as well as all of the rest of the modules. Your money ($600) would be better spent there, IMHO...... ;)

Gordon
05-25-2003, 04:54 PM
I can only say that we don't experience any crashes while using CG pages during a live production AND capturing to the hard drives.

However, we don't create any CG pages during a live production. All CG pages are created beforehand. The problem is not with the capture panel or switcher or ToasterCG but with keyboard focus. Once in ToasterCG it has keyboard and command focus which means that you can't do any other VT module functions that require the keyboard or mouse! Makes it kind of difficult to switch.

One thing we have learned to do is to start the capture - recording to the hard drive, and then iconify the capture panel window so that it is just an icon in the upper Toaster toolbar. (Just click on the 'capture' icon in the Toaster toolbar to iconify it). With the capture panel iconified it won't interfere with the rest of the production. Just have to remember to stop the capture process when the job is done.

Gordon
05-25-2003, 05:03 PM
If you need to create CG pages - like lower thirds, on the fly in a live production then use another computer with any graphics software that can save in Targa, (TGA), format.

Network the two computers together and have the second computer save the files to a shared 'CG Pages' directory.

With Toaster 'Filebin' open you can just drag and drop these into a DDR to key over live video.

Works much, much smoother than trying to do it in ToasterCG while switching live.

fbcamory
06-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Thanks Gordon,

Creating the CG pages in another application works great. Also, I can now have my crew create the pages at home or elsewhere and ftp them to the proper directory before the broadcast. Saves some time with creation.

Thanks,

Gordon
06-03-2003, 06:33 AM
You're welcome.

Before the event, the director of communications has provided us with a printed list of all graphics created specifically for this show and placed in the shared network drive. Of course we have the standard lower thirds for the regular names but it is up to us to create any that are missing no later than 10 minutes before the show start, if we are going to use ToasterCG.

The reason for the 10 minute cut off time is that we have crashed the computer 2 minutes before the show and because Windoze is so slow to start :rolleyes: we have missed the intro. Also we have crashed the computer, (we were beta testers for VT[2] years ago and now VT[3]), 5 minutes before the show and the stress isn't worth it. (Some members of the video team turn a funny pasty white sort of colour when that happens.:eek: )

Furthermore, if you have a cut off of 10 minutes before the show, the computer never crashes! Amazing how Murphy's law works. ;)