PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cannot Load External Plugins...

teremo
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I have just purchased the Education version of Lightwave 3D. I am kind of new to 3D modeling in general, so I am sure a lot of people on here know a lot more than me... :D

However, I am running into a bit of a problem here with Lightwave 8.5 for PC.

In Layout, whenever I choose FILE, Open, the following error message pops up:

"Cannot Load external plug in file <...\plugins\input-output\ ...etc...>"

The "Cannot Load external plug in file appears very often, on many commands that I press.

I tried to uninstall then re-install. It works for a few hours without problems, but after that it goes back to giving me the same errors.

What do you think this is caused by?

I have the dongle USB connected to the USB port and everything in place, registered and all..

Help! :help:

Thank you!

Teremo
A Lightwave student.

dgon64
02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't know about any limitations with the educational version but normally you need to manually add all your plug-ins. Under Utilities, choose either Add Plug-ins or Edit Plug-ins then scan the Plug-in and legacy_plug-ins folders to add them. They should show up under Additional.

Silkrooster
03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Interesting, maybe a corrupt config file. Below is instructions for resetting plugins.
Silk

Instructions for resetting plug ins and menu options.

1. Locate your config files they should be at C:\Documents and Settings\user name or do a search for *.cfg. This search will find all files on your hard drive that has the cfg extention.
The config files have a name and a number for the version of lightwave you are using. Ex. Lightwave version 8+ will have the following config files. LW8.CFG, LWHUB8.CFG, LWEXT8.CFG, LWM8.CFG.
These four files can safely be deleted. Note: Any customization you did will no longer exist.

2. Start Layout

3. Reset content directory by selecting EDIT>SET CONTENT DIRECTORY or press ALT-F12(shortcut)

4. Scan for all plugins by selecting UTILITIES>PLUGINS>EDIT PLUGINS or press ALT-F11 (shortcut). Rather than selecting the Lightwave folder and search for plug ins, select the plugins folder and then legacy plugins this is much faster as less files to scan through.

5. Reset Menu by selecting EDIT>EDIT MENU LAYOUT… or Alt-F10(shortcut) If the preset Default is grayed out, select 7.5 style then select default.

6. Close Layout and open Modeler

7. Repeat steps 4 and 5
Note: BeeVee mentioned that trashing the config files may not always be necessary. Therefore step 1 is optional.