PDA

View Full Version : New mac mini core duos as screamernet renderers?

Ade
02-28-2006, 04:16 PM
How do you guys think theyll cope?
Vram isnt its strength but for rendering who cares?

jeremyhardin
02-28-2006, 05:32 PM
it'll be emulated on one core, from what dan ablan said of his experience [with the new Macbook Pro].

so maybe it'd be worth it for the use of two nodes? i'd be curious to see, but i'm still waiting 'till the dust settles a bit before springing into intel macs myself.

Johnny
02-28-2006, 07:10 PM
FWIW, I have a pair of G4 Minis rendering 24/7.

I also use them for modeling and animating...I'd imagine that a "4 times faster" intel-based mini would be all the better.

J

Captain Obvious
02-28-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't know. $800 would probably buy you a faster home-built cheap-o PC. Still, the mini is a good choice if you want to conserve space and power. No way no how you're going to get a that small PC of any kind with comparable performance, let alone for $800.

dsol
03-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Gigabit ethernet and dual cores in such a tiny, quiet enclosure would indeed make for a suh-weet render node. And as has already been said, the sucky integrated intel 950 graphics are an irrelevance for a render node (until LW can take advantage of GPU rendering - which will probably not be for a while yet :) ). All we need now is for NT to port LWSN to native macIntel and we're away. Go on NT! - it has to be one of the easiest parts of LW to port isn't it? It's not like you don't have a nice optimised x86 version already (for windows). I will love you lots if you do :)

Johnny
03-01-2006, 08:03 AM
so, as of right now, it's a moot point, as intel mac-supported LWSN ware doesn't exist?

when it does come into being, then you have the expense of providing another set of software so that Intel-based Macs can participate? Or, does rosetta handle that?

It's gonna be a LONG time before I get rid of my current PPC gear..if ever..

J

Captain Obvious
03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Apparently, the 2GHz Macbook Pro renders about as fast as the 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, so even in Rosetta, the new mini wouldn't be that bad... Still, since there is already an x86 Linux version of Screamernet (right?), porting it to x86 Mac should be a piece of cake.

LSlugger
03-03-2006, 07:24 AM
If you use any third-party plugins, it's going to be a while before an Intel Mac renderer will do you any good. It's the same reason the Linux renderer is so underwhelming. You'd do better to install Windows (or Linux + WINE), and run the Windows renderer.

Ade
03-05-2006, 11:26 PM
You guys might be interested in this - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91459

CPU swap for bottom mac mini to run core duo 2.1ghz.

My only question is how **** is the graphics card if it was maxxed out with ram?

BazC
03-06-2006, 06:37 AM
I just wish they'd offer a middle of the road option, say an Intel iMac that will take up to 4gigs of RAM (4 slots) and you could upgrade the GFX card. I don't really need a brute of a Powermac tower but I am starting to feel the need for a decent GFX card and the ability to add more RAM!

He who is struggling along with a 1.25 GHz eMac, 768mb RAM and a Radeon 9200! :D

Johnny
03-07-2006, 09:36 AM
IHe who is struggling along with a 1.25 GHz eMac, 768mb RAM and a Radeon 9200! :D

my rig isn't far off from yours; 1.42ghz mini, 1GB RAM. What makes your mac groan worst/fastest? many image maps? lots of geometry?

last night I created a set of 10,000 stairs..the stairs eventually drew onscreen, but was not practical to work with in modeler.

J

BazC
03-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Well I've not used large numbers of image maps but geometry soon slows it to a crawl! I hear of people creating models with 100s of thousands of polys and I just can't believe it. Modeler struggles with 20,000 for me!