PDA

View Full Version : Depth-of-Field Blur not working

Anti-Distinctly
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
The title says it all really. No matter what I do, the post processing DOF blur does nothing. The render says it's applying it, but there is never any difference with and without it applied. The DOF in FPrime comes out fine, so I know the Focal Distance and F Stop are fine. I've tried it with 'Use Layout lens' on and off and just about every other permutation possible. Any help? I feel this tool is neccessary to avoid the DOF banding with the lower AA passes.

jeremyhardin
02-27-2006, 04:10 PM
hmm. have you tried it in a simpler scene?

mind posting your scene?

Panikos
02-28-2006, 01:15 AM
There is a command that help you see DOF/Motion Blur previews.
Also somewhere Ernie Wright has a plugin called DOFToy, a DOF values calculator showing the infuence of every change on other parameters.

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Yeah, if you press shift+F9, you get a DOF & MB preview. This does indeed show that I should be getting heavy DOF, but again, nothing happens when the post processsing DOF is applied.
I can post a scene, but it happens now on every scene. I'm at work at the moment, but I'll post a scene when I'm at home in about 8 hours time :)

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I've attached a small scene example.
The DOF is controlled by a null. With the DOF_Ctrl null use the Z-size to alter the F-Stop and the Z coordinate the change the focal position. The camera has channel followers for the Focal length and F-Stop values referencing DOF_Ctrl.

jeremyhardin
02-28-2006, 01:32 PM
opened the scene. hit render.
got heavy DOF.

added the DOF Blur and hit render,
some effect, but as expected. not intended to be a standalone effect.

turned off DOF blur and added Digital Confusion.
got heavy DOF.

toby
02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Try deleting and reloading the DOF plugin.

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I made the scene from scratch to post here. I get heavy normal DOF, but none added from the post DOF. I dont have digital confusion, is it free?

jeremyhardin
02-28-2006, 01:53 PM
just tested the same scene in 7.5d. same results.

FWIW, I can't see much difference unless I check "Blur Background".

Ideal: do DOF in post.
If not: try Digital Confusion.
If neither: crank up your blur amount, crank down your FStop, and make sure you blur background.

;)

jeremyhardin
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
ah but you do have digital confusion. it comes with LW. run from the image processing tab, just the same as DOF Blur.

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
My God man, I do have it.
Splendid. That (kind of) sorts that out then. Much obliged :D

toby
02-28-2006, 10:48 PM
As I recall there's visible errors with both the dof plug-in that ships with LW and digital confusion.

Why don't you just use FPrimes' dof?