PDA

View Full Version : Will LWv9 be as good as Silo in terms of its modeling tools?

kiwisheep
02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
I have deferred upgrading to LW9 because I am now modeling in Silo. But the problem with Silo is that it does not have built-in bones, animation nor rendering. So I still go back to LW to finish it. I wish the new tools in v9 would be as good as Silo. One thing annoys me about LW modeling - v8 and below is that if you have accidentally selected a point or a polygon - you have to click again to turn it off. That behaviour does not exists in Max nor in Maya. You just click the point, edge or polygon and the previously selected point, edge or polygon is deselected. This is much faster since you don't have to do those extra clicks. Will LW9 still have that behaviour?

JCG
02-27-2006, 02:23 PM
But, after painstakingly selecting 1219 points, if you, by mistake, click in a LW viewport (and that happens often if you have no memory and keep forgetting that you have already dropped the tool), you don't lose your entire selection... I love that so much!

Captain Obvious
02-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Undos for selections is awesome.

Nicolas Jordan
02-27-2006, 02:32 PM
We can probably expect changes to the selection system sometime soon but I doubt you will see much if any change to this in 9.0. I think I read something about it in one of the Lightwave news articles, I could be wrong though.

cresshead
02-27-2006, 03:27 PM
well Silo3D IS cheap enough to have/use as well as lightwave... their roadmap for silo is quite complenetry for lightwave users too..adding push pull style modeling like that of z brush in the nr future...and it's also on pc and mac..sorta ideal!

Kurtis
02-27-2006, 03:29 PM
There will be a change to selection in LightWave v9.0 in the form of the List Manager. This is talked about in the LightWave v9 Feature List (http://www.lightwave3d.com/lw9_features.php) and also with a video (http://www.lightwave3d.com/lw9_demos.php).

Further enhancements will be made to selection modes throughout the v9.x cycle.

Exception
02-27-2006, 03:31 PM
hhmm ya kurtis, but that's layout, not modeler...

I use the '/' key to deselect, and i kinda like the way it is now... such a small point to change programs for :)

Kurtis
02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
The changes that are planned will affect both the modeling and animation workflows.

KillMe
02-27-2006, 03:42 PM
noooooooooo the modeler selection system is perfect click to add click to remove middle click to add more its jsut tehb est selection system in any 3d app - my main reason for hating modo was that it couldn't be convinced to work that way

though i will say a big yes to undo selections maybe a seperate undo though so you dont ahve to undo twice as offen for normal stuff but you seelctions having there own undo history would be nice

Kurtis
02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Wouldn't that be a change to the selection modes in the Modeler workflow? :D

Gettarobox
02-27-2006, 03:47 PM
it will be great if they keep a "classic" selection mode if the changes will be immense.

Kurtis
02-27-2006, 03:52 PM
The team is keeping legacy users in mind when they make workflow changes.

stone
02-28-2006, 05:06 AM
though i will say a big yes to undo selections maybe a seperate undo though so you dont ahve to undo twice as offen for normal stuff but you seelctions having there own undo history would be nice

whatever you do do not make multiply undo stacks. selection undos should go in the normal stack just like everything else. this works wonderfully in other packages, while seperate stacks would confuse workflow.

/stone