PDA

View Full Version : need to create a waterfall

jcisaiah
05-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Hello to all, I'm need to create a waterfall. I'm looking for a tutorial to help me.

Thanks,

JC

prospector
05-18-2003, 05:03 PM
kinda easy if not too involved
but here goes

make a long flat plane kinda thin

1 meter wide by 10 meters long 0 thickness

put it on the zero line of the longest direction (any ) so long as the 10 meter is started from the 0 line
and remember which wat the 10 meters are pointing ( X Y Z )

name that texture water

subdivide it a few times to get some geometry

copy to a second layer

highlight 5 meters of the strip and using the BEND tool, bend it to 90 degrees.So it is 1 meter wide and 5 meters long at both ends.

go to original object and put the bent one in background

do a endomorph called Water.falls

delete original (unbent)
save object as waterfalls

in layout load waterfalls

go to the morph screen and set to 100%

should now be bent

color it a nice shade of blue
bump it with smoke and give it some movement in the long direction from modeler

back into the color channel give it another layer as Procedrial fractal noise and some movement in the same direction as the bump.

Now when you render it out as anim it will have water flowing in dirction of stream with the wavy bump also and the water will flow around the curve and down :D

throw in a few well placed particle emitters with many small HVs and ya get spray

model some land for river and put some boulders and move points in flat plane (pre morphed one for the background) around the rocks and it will look like the water is squeezed between rocks (this usually works best with 2 layers of water...1 just water colored and under the the one I mentioned above because if it is not subdivided enuf it will be hard to actually follow around rocks without leaving a space, so under layer takes care of that).

If you want a long curve in river, just bend the river on the flat side so it stays flat without falls (hell make one that comes around a bend and then goes over falls :D )
the fractal noise and bump will follow the river around bend then over falls and NOT moving with water, cutting thru the dirt and sideways over falls. (like the old video games that showed water moving like that).

Play with the bump and fractal settings to get better looking water.

there ya go.. easy as pie
hope that helps

jcisaiah
05-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks a lot prospector, I'll give it a try tonight!!!!

JC

Red_Oddity
05-19-2003, 06:59 AM
Add this to some places where you Waterfall goes over an edge or collides with rocks:

Divx movie:
Water Fall (http://www.metropolisfilm.nl/temp/waterf-divx.avi)

And the Scene:
www.metropolisfilm.nl/temp/waterf.zip

The sceb is nothing more but a particle emitter and a single sprite with a very simple texture...

toby
05-20-2003, 12:14 AM
both VERY cool - thanks fellas