PDA

View Full Version : Pardon a dufus question, but...

SG1
02-26-2006, 06:02 AM
... why is it that newtek is one of the few companies that does not offer a trial ver. of their flagship app? Personally, I lean favorably towards a co. who does (esp. in this age of broadband, and I'd imagine, tough competition as seen in most fields). A trial allows would be customers to try out/see a program, the interface and see if it "sticks" with an end-user.

Again, personally, I like to see the look of an app, the tools and I find it odd on this site or related site, a Tut. mentioned how it explained the more "confusing" tools in LW. Odd things to say about you product, IMO.

I'm quite honestly > not trolling < here, to create a flame war as I do for some reason lean toward LW, as I've heard its rendering engine/results praised loudly, far and wide over the web. Yet, I've D'L close to a GB of trial apps (from other companies), big & small names in the field in last day or so: I just wondered then - why not LW?

Thanks for your thoughts on this,
SG1 (Pat)

Dexter2999
02-26-2006, 07:32 AM
This is where I hold an opinion that I am sure software developers everywhere hate. I don't download illegal music, movies or games but I do have APPZ, illegal cracked software floating around the internet. I will admit that I have several applications that I have aquired for myself. I think as long as I am using the stuff for just playing or learning the harm isn't that great. HOWEVER!!!! I do think that the minute a person uses a piece of software to make money they owe it to the software developers to buy a licensed copy of the product. It is only right that they should get what is coming to them. And if you don't like the application and go a different direction then I don't see damage to the software company.

I have been playing with Photoshop and Illustrator for a few of years. That helped me get the job I currently hold, because I was familiar with products they were using. Just recently when I was approached about designing a company logo and business cards (outside of work) I made the investment in a licensed copy of Adobe CS. In anticipation of doing professional 3d work in the coming year I purchased an EDU copy of Lighwave that I plan on upgrading as soon as I can.

Sekhar
02-26-2006, 09:28 AM
NewTek does offer a trial: it's a CD you can get by contacting them. In fact, I did evaluate LightWave, Cinema 4D, Softimage, and Maya before buying -- for me, LightWave was love at first sight...

Matt
02-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Not a dufus question at all! It's something many LW users have urged NewTek to do for some time now.

From I've read, as of version 9, there will be a fully-functional, time-limited demo available as a download from NewTek's site, just like all the other major players.

(FINALLY!!!)

Edit: As far as I know, that CD is still the Discovery Edition of LightWave.

DMarkwick
02-28-2006, 06:21 AM
I was under the impression that there has always been a demo version of LW available. Certainly there was a 7/7.5 demo, which is close enough.

I often used to see it on magazine cover CDs, but as I've owned LW for some time I've never really had to look for it.