PDA

View Full Version : mac 3D animation software

snickrep
05-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Hello,
I am pretty new to the 3D world. I know this a lightwave board and it is most likly people will say to get lightwave, but I just want a honest suggestion. I am interested in purchasing a low budget or education 3D package for my mac. My budget is around $350 or below, yeah I know pretty cheap. I just want the basic package with animation tools, good ing tools, UV mapping, etc. I want to start off by doing low-poly game s before I do high-poly s. I am very interested in game development and working with a game engine. From the list below, which would be best for me?

Animation Master: 2003 ( does the academic license expire?)

PiXELS 3D

Maya 4.5/5 ( does the academic license expire?)

Cinema 4D XL 8 ( does the academic license expire?)

Lightwave 3d 7 ( does the academic license expire?)

Electric Image Universe ( does the academic license expire?)

if there are any other tools that would be good for me that I did not mention, than please let me know.

Jack

snickrep
05-19-2003, 02:55 PM
bump

Psyhke
05-19-2003, 05:03 PM
I don't know too much about what you're asking, but I do know that the cool thing with LW's academic license is that 1) it doesn't expire (as far I understand it), and 2) you can upgrade that license to a full commercial license by simply buying the upgrade to whatever is the current version, which is lately only about another $395, and 3) there is no functional difference between student version and commercial version.

WizCraker
05-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by snickrep
Animation Master: 2003 ( does the academic license expire?)

Jack [/B]

For Animation Master: 2003 visit Hash Website (http://www.hash.com/)

Maya 4.5/5 ( does the academic license expire?)
For Maya 5 visit Alias/Wavefront Website (http://www.aliaswavefront.com)

Cinema 4D XL 8 ( does the academic license expire?)
For Cinema 4D XL 8 visit http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/c4d/cinema4d_portal_e.html]Maxon Website

Electric Image Universe ( does the academic license expire?)
For Electric Image Universe visit Electric Image Website (http://www.electricimage.com/products/universe/overview/univoverview.htm)

Lightwave 3d 7 ( does the academic license expire?)
For Lightwave 3d 7.5 you can visit
Journey Ed (http://www2.journeyed.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe?SKW=ntspecial&FNM=21&UID=2003051918004446&GEN8=NEWTEK&GEN9=routey20.pro) to get the Student version.

When I bought the student version back in 1995 it was twice the price that it is now. The license did not expire. The major differnece between licenses is that with educational you can not use it to make money.

You would have to consult with the other companies to see how they handle their educational licenses at the links provided above.

snickrep
05-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Is there any place where I can get the lightwave student version for under $300? I remember seeing a web store that had it for that price and it was not a upgrade version. Also, how easy is it to learn lightwave? Does lightwave come with a book? Does it help?

WizCraker
05-19-2003, 08:49 PM
Well Newtek sets the price and resellers that are authorized to sale products at educational prices [they get qualified from their distributors] have to follow stricter rules. So most likely if you are seeing Lightwave cheaper than what the largest educational reseller in the world is selling it for, it most likely is a scam and or selling illegal unauthorized pirated copies. Before you buy from anyone that claims they can sale at educational prices. Call Newtek 800-Toaster [I think that is still the number] and make sure that place you see that price is legit. Other than that $395 is a steal for Lightwave 3D.

Psyhke
05-19-2003, 09:29 PM
... Also, how easy is it to learn lightwave? Does lightwave come with a book? Does it help?

Might be interesting reading for ya...

Online Docs (http://www.newtek.com/freestuff/lwhelp/)

LW also comes with a rather large book, which is different than the online docs. I like it. Some don't. It's full of facts, and not much in the way of tutorials, though there are many tutorials also on this site.

quatermain
05-19-2003, 11:49 PM
for game moding on the mac, I think Lighwave is your best & cheapest choice by far. Electric Image does not support neither importing nor creating UV maps without plug-ins. I believe Maya's edu license is for 1 year - please correct me if I am wrong.

snickrep
05-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Would anyone recommend me buying Lightwave 3D 5.6 for mac? Would that be good to start with and then upgrade to lightwave 7? I dont want to buy something off ebay, but is there any place I can buy lightwave 5 for under $350? Or even Lightwave 6 under that price? How good is Lightwave 5.6?

Rei
05-29-2003, 03:11 PM
Look around for a second hand version of LW, you can get some good offers going.

Lynx3d
05-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Some words about the Cinema educational (information without warranty however :) )
AFAIK it
- does not expire, unless you are not in education anymore of course.
- is NOT upgradeable, neither to newer educationals nor to commercial version
- does not ship with printed manuals, but you can buy them separately

Besides that, without Bodypaint or other plugins, C4D has absolutely no UV editing tools. Heard there are some free plugins however, but probably, like ever so often, not for Mac :(

Hm A|W offers Maya PLE, isn't that more or less an educational version, at zero cost? Think there's also a free Softimage version.
But i don't know how limited those exactly are, Maya PLE has it's own file format and won't let you work with "normal" Maya files or something like that.

TerryFord
05-29-2003, 08:25 PM
LightWave versions prior to 6.0 don't support UV mapping. If you can find a cheap copy of v6.0 the 6.5b upgrade (which is/was free) can still be downloaded from NewTek's FTP site;

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw65b/

If you do go for a second hand version make sure you get the dongle ID before purchasing, so you can check for legitimate ownership with NewTek (probably best to phone rather than email).

If your main area of interest is games development then (sad to say) Max is the most widely used tool, with Maya catching up fast. You might want to look into Gmax (sorry LW guys, but since Inspire was allowed to wither on the vine there's no entry level alternative from NewTek).

LightWave is used for games development (make my living that way), but I think it's fair to say it's nowhere near being first choice for most developers.

Regards,
Terry

snickrep
05-30-2003, 05:58 AM
I dont have a PC so I cant use 3D studio max, gmax, or softimage.

What are the system requirements for lightwave 5.6? I use Mac OSX, but I hear lightwave 5.6 only works under Mac OS 9. Also what about lightwave 6?

snickrep
05-30-2003, 04:46 PM
bump.