PDA

View Full Version : DDR playback issue

mrae
02-25-2006, 10:51 PM
We just purchased a new VT4 system first for switching our live services and to add a second edit suite to out studio.

I have run into a small problem it seems with the playback of certain file types in the DDR. I have tried to play back mpg, dv, and mpeg4. They do not play the video back, only the audio. The only file type I have been able to get to play is an avi, however avi have large file sizes. Is there some reason why the file types do not work?

Does mov files work in the DDR as well?

Thanks!!!

Michael

John Perkins
02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
You need a compatible Directshow codec to playback in the DDR. Windows doesn't come with an MPEG2 or MPEG4 codec.

I assume by DV you mean a .dv file, usually produced by Quicktime. If you rename these to .avi I THINK they will play.

AVI files aren't all bigger, it depends on how they are compressed. The VT system includes it's own codecs for DV and NT25, which use about 12GB per hour. These are a good balance of low disk space to CPU usage and quality.

In general, if you can play the file in Windows Media Player, you can use it in VT. Sometimes you do have odd results from MPEG2 because there are so many different decoders. It might take a while to find one that works well if you decide to go that route.