PDA

View Full Version : I need more than 3 cameras!

videosc
02-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Tricaster... it seems like a great product, but only having three camera inputs is too limiting for my purpose.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to connect two Tricaster's together so I could get 6 camera sources? Two Tricasters would still be cheaper than a Sony Anycast.

UnCommonGrafx
02-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Sounds like you should get a VT instead.

Paul Lara
02-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I Agree with Robert. If you need 6 cameras, you need a VT[4].

videosc
02-26-2006, 07:46 PM
I need something portable. I have not been able to find a portable version of the VT4 anywhere.

UnCommonGrafx
02-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Digital Arts, Bloomington Indiana
1800 My-Amiga
{That's how I remember the number -- 1800-692-6442}

Ask for Kris; tell her I told you to call; ask about the Tesseract. 24 cameras to go.

Tarheel Cougar
02-27-2006, 07:15 AM
We've run into this problem many times. It's not ideal, but you could work around the three inputs. Depending on how fast you would need to switch cameras, you can connect a second passive switcher to input 3 (a 4x1, 8x1, etc). You would always have easy access to inputs 1 and 2, and could select your other input on the second switcher. It's a lot less expensive (and more portable) than a second Tricaster!

If you only need 6 inputs, you could connect 3 sources using the RCA inputs, and 3 using the S-video inputs. You can select either the RCA or S-video input before you take the source in the input menu. (But you couldnt switch from input 1 RCA to input 1 S-video live without a glitch). It's not easy to do this quickly.

Of course neither one of these options is as easy as a VT, and I guess it depends on your needs.

Lee Hopper
02-27-2006, 10:06 AM
check out www.videonowaz.com

he has made a a vt4 into a mobile case, he is a vt/tricaster dealer in Arizona

Lee Hopper

PIZAZZ
03-01-2006, 12:27 PM
We have specialized in portable versions of the VT for years. Quite a few dealers like Steve in Az actually buy some solutions from us.

There are so many different options to make a VT portable... It really depends on what you are used to using. We have done some great shockmounted Racks for FEMA and some really ultracompact solutions for other field production applications.

Here are some pics and a link:

http://www.pizazzme.com/shop/proddetail.php?prod=VTtoGO&cat=45

http://www.pizazzme.com/shop/prodimages/stored/Image/prod_pics/thumb_VTtoGo.jpg

Of course Cost all depends on the system designed and the budget you want to set.

videosc
03-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks Tarheel Cougar for that tip... that's the kind of thing I was wondering if someone had tried. Any specific suggestions for the passive switcher you mentioned? And do you use yours for sports? That's one of the uses I see for ours.

And thanks to the others who shared tips on a portable system. I would think that with Sony promoting Anycast there would be more third party companies making a portable VT, but at least some people are.