PDA

View Full Version : Using Lightwave 8.5 with multiple independent graphic boards

andreabix
02-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Hello Lightwavers!
This is my first post here, I'm quite new about Lightwave and especially in the community. Hope to be here more frequently from now!

Currently I'm searching a solution to use Lightwave 8.5 on a workstation with two graphic adapter on board. The workstation is a dual core Pentium running WindowsXP 32 bit. Two ATI fireGL 3200 are installed on the two PCI express slots. This setup works very nicely on three separate displays for NLE video application (Sony Vegas 6) and all other winodoze apps I'm using.

Unfortunately, when launching Lightwave on the same machine, an error avoids LW running unless the second display ATI fireGL board is disabled.
I've also tried to add a older PCI graphic card to see if the two PCIexpress setup may cause problem but the error upon launch appears whenever a second display adapter is enabled.

It seems that LW 8.5 only accept to run using one graphic board. There is anyone who has been succesfully using Lightwave 8.5 on more than one graphic adapter?

Many thanks,
Andrea

lesford
02-25-2006, 01:49 PM
I am running a couple of Macintoshs with this configuration, but that doesn't say much about how it might work on an XP box.

Les Ford

andreabix
02-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Les, thanks for your reply. Althought it does not say about Xp Box, anyway your post says about the possibilitiy of using two graphic board. A setp forward.
Andrea

ercaxus
02-26-2006, 01:26 AM
I used lw on xp with an agp and a pci card before, it was nvidia though.

cc3d
02-26-2006, 05:14 PM
My experience with multiple cards so far has been scattered. At least for Lightwave. It seems that on the second monitor, I could only put LW panels. If I moved layout or modeler over to the second screen, I could not see any meshes there. Wierd effect.

andreabix
02-27-2006, 03:40 AM
That's interesting: for me would be very good to have the only the LW panels on the third monitor. Currently I can fully use Layout and Modeler on the first two monitors, both connected to the first ATI PCIe board. The third, connected to the second ATI board, rest unised since LW crashes when the second board is enabled.
Do you remember your setup?

lesford
02-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Sorry I wasn't more specific about this, but in a dual card setup the main window and menu bar must remain entirely on the main card and the other card can only be used for extra panels (numeric, statistics, scene editor etc.). This is because the second card does not support openGL. This is not a problem in 2D applications, but you have to watch out for it in programs like Lightwave. OpenGL is not displayed on the second card because the secondary slots don't support it.

I have been considering getting a skookum dual head video card and dropping my second card for this reason.

Les

andreabix
02-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Les, this is very interesting and it is exactly what I'm seeking for. It is ok for me not to have OpenGL on the second board/third display. What cards are you using?

I tried the following combinations:
1. two ATI FireGL board PCIexpress. Second board must be disabled to run LW
2. One ATI FireGL board PCIexpress and one S3 PCI board without OpenGL support. Also in this config S3 board must be disabled to run LW.

Andrea