PDA

View Full Version : reduce the scale of image map texture?

Johnny
02-25-2006, 07:28 AM
I'm using an image map to give texture to a wall surface, and while the map is behaving fine, the little pores in that surface are way too large; like craters!

I've scaled up my gemetry as much as I can (UV mapping) but would like to do more to get the scale of the texture smaller in relation to the area being mapped to.

only thing I can think of is to make a much larger map, or to scale down my texture in photoshop so that it is smaller relative to the wall.

smaller as in "finer"

Is this the only option for me?

thanks!

J

mkiii
02-25-2006, 07:40 AM
When you UV map, you fix the relationship between polygon & image. If you want to get more use out of the UV map, then you need to spread the UVs so they are bigger. The image is in effect tiled beyond the UV grid, even if it doesn't display that way in the UV window.

To do this quickly, just scale up all the wall UVs so they are extending beyond the grid.

You can also use straight forward planar mapping, and tile the textures in the surface editor. I prefer this method for tiling because you don't have to keep going back to modeler.

Both of these approaches need a tilable texture map if you don't want seams.

Of course, there is always the option of making the bitmap bigger.

Johnny
02-25-2006, 08:57 AM
what I'm trying is a map in which I scaled the existing texture in photoshop down to 1/4, then duped that to fill the same-size area, effectively increasing the density of the texture..

I think it's going to work for me this way.

thanks

J

peteb
03-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Although that will work you're losing pixel info on your image as Photshop is just compressing the original image into a smaller size. If the texture of bricks is tileable you're much better of increasing the size of the uvs.

Pete B