PDA

View Full Version : Decal thing again

gig651
05-18-2003, 10:42 AM
I am having a diffficult time with what I am sure is quite easy.

Please see attached file for a visual.

I have applied the arrows as a uv. I want the blue to be transparent. I want the arrows to translate in the direction the are pointing. So far the only thing I have accomplished to my desire is the gradient to tranparency. I applied that in the trans portion of the surface editor(uv as well). Transparency set to 100. No alpha on the gradient.

I have tried so many blending modes and variations of alpha no alpha I have forgot where I even started.

Any Ideas would reallly make my day.

Thanks for all who look and a really big thanks to anyone with an idea

Dick Ma
05-18-2003, 11:05 AM
make a black-white image map of the arrow.

in texture tab of the transparent channel... add a new layer over the base , use the image and correct UV.

hrgiger
05-18-2003, 01:09 PM
It's simple. Do exactly this.

Take your arrow image. Convert it to black and white. Whatever there was blue before, make sure it's all black now. Whereever the arrow was, make sure it's all white. No inbtweens or grays. Now save it as arrowalpha.jpg or whatever you want to call it.

Now apply the arrow image into the color channel(not the black and white you just created, the original color image).

copy that layer in the surface editor.

Paste it above the color layer you just applied.

Change it's blending mode to alpha.

change the image to the arrowalpha.jpg you created.

By cutting and pasting, you assure that it's positioned in the same exact spot so it cuts where you had intended.
You shouldn't have to use the transparency channel at all.

Dick Ma
05-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
It's simple. Do exactly this.

Take your arrow image. Convert it to black and white. Whatever there was blue before, make sure it's all black now. Whereever the arrow was, make sure it's all white. No inbtweens or grays. Now save it as arrowalpha.jpg or whatever you want to call it.

Now apply the arrow image into the color channel(not the black and white you just created, the original color image).

copy that layer in the surface editor.

Paste it above the color layer you just applied.

Change it's blending mode to alpha.

change the image to the arrowalpha.jpg you created.

By cutting and pasting, you assure that it's positioned in the same exact spot so it cuts where you had intended.
You shouldn't have to use the transparency channel at all.

hrgiger:

Did you read about what gig651 wants?

he's got Colour textured with alpha enabled on, so the texture of the colour base is not black, it is blue due to he set the colour base is blue

he's transparent texture applied at the starting point and the ending point....

he wants to get rid of the blue colour...and also preserve the transparent effect at the start and end point.

So your solution is not working at all.

Dick Ma
05-19-2003, 03:46 AM
solutions:

As I mentioned above... but a little tricky in the transparent channel:

Layer 1: a Black-white arrow, white as background and make an alpha mask on the white area. I believe that you are using TGA.

Layer 2. the linear gradient image that you created, below Layer 1.

hrgiger
05-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Sorry, I guess I didn't catch that part of it.

gig651
05-20-2003, 07:11 AM
I really want to thank you all.

I ,unfortunately, was up Sunday until 2:30 am using a posting process in After Effects. Looks super-scheesey but worked.

The resposnes I have recieved were great and extremely helpful.

I will no doubt be using this knowledge in the future.

-Greg:p