PDA

View Full Version : Long rendering time ...

gerardomv
02-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I need to know if I'm missing something on hardware or software configurations using Ligthwave 8 on a Mac G5, the problem is that i have to wait like 24 hours to get the rendering job done, the scene has over 200 objects, all static ( its a scene from a park here in my city ), i just want a camera path trought the park, and that's it ...

the system specs are :

Dual 1.8 Ghz Proc.
1 GB RAM
GeForceFX 5200 @ 64 MB

Do I need to upgrade something? memory? 3d card? or its just about setting up some lightwave options?

Actually, I'm not the one who uses the software, but as technical support I must give an answer ASAP... =S :help:

thanks in advance...

Greetings from Mexico.

Gerardo Molina.

Captain Obvious
02-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Your graphics card does not affect rendering speed at all. Rendering will be VERY slow without enough RAM, but that is probably not your primary problem.

Here is a very short list of the things that slow down Lightwave rendering the most:
*Radiosity (especially multi-bounce monte carlo)
*Refractions
*Too many ray recursions (set it to 5 or so)

BeeVee
02-24-2006, 03:26 PM
...and not using both processors for rendering...

B

Captain Obvious
02-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, that is a big slow-downer.

Open your render options and set the threads to 2 if you haven't already. If you have, try 4 or 8 instead.

gerardomv
02-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Yes, that is a big slow-downer.

Open your render options and set the threads to 2 if you haven't already. If you have, try 4 or 8 instead.

So, I must check under render options?? got it!

Another 1 GB of RAM should help also?

Thanks!

toby
02-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Rendering photo-real animations will always be time-consuming, since you have to render 24/30 frames per second of video. 24 hours is pretty short, a week is not uncommon if you only have one machine.

A real time-saver for this type of animation is baking the lighting/shadows/radiosity into the objects' textures, since the lighting won't be changing if only the camera is moving.

gerardomv
02-24-2006, 06:57 PM
24hrs after starting, the job is done. Threads were on 8 ...

What do I need to setup more than one machine to get the rendering job done?

Thank you everyone!

toby
02-24-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't know much about network rendering, but I've heard more good things about Rayne's Renderfarm Commander than any other -
http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html

Johnny
02-25-2006, 09:02 AM
dunno if you examined the AA angle, but have to tried to see how few AA passes you can live with?

what frame size are you rendering to?

J

Darrell
02-25-2006, 10:12 AM
in addition to the good advice...i would like to add the use of multipass rendering as well

avkills
02-26-2006, 12:48 PM
How long is the total animation? My last project has over 40+ hours of rendering, although I could have shortened if I didn't want interactive reflections through most of it...but what fun would that be. ;)

I had to settle for Medium AA, which turned out to be ok. I usually will do Medium Enhanced. Frame size is almost always D1 (720x486).

System was a dual 2 G5, 3.5GB RAM, LW7.5d.

-mark