PDA

View Full Version : Animating with LifeForms and Ligtwave??

panini
05-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Hi,

There doesn't seem to be much on the web about Lightwave and LifeForms.

So, I'm just curious to see if anybody here is using it.

If you don't know LifeForms is animation software which should be able to import a lightwave object or skeleton, then you can apply any animation to it ( it comes with about 750 presets, a lot of which are motion captures and very realistic ), tweak it and when satisfied import the animation back into Lightwave.

You can copy and past animations, keyframes, etc.. and it seems like this should be by far the fastest way to animate ( you could have your character running and diving or whatever in a couple of minutes )

Anyway. Credo's site only talks about Lightwave 6.5 and I'm wondering if there are any issues with version 7.5 as well as general pros and cons of using LForms with Lightwave.

cresshead
05-18-2003, 10:10 AM
i looked at lifeforms way back and thought the interface was/is one of the very worst designs out there for any app.

if i were you i'd try a demo of it first...then get digit mag and try the free 12 month version of motion builder in comparison to life formas as well as the demo of acs4...

lifeforms seems rather dated in my personal opinion.

steve g
:rolleyes:

Mylenium
05-18-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't think LifeForms is of much use.... Even though there are really some nice motion sets in it, you just cannot get decent results within an acceptable time fram. The interface is just crap. Also it appears they have not been working on the code for the last 3 years so this might not be a wise investment in the future.

Mylenium

CTRL+X
05-18-2003, 02:20 PM
I used to use it alot with my 5.6 because LW then lacked any real animation tools. It wroked great and flawlessly, BUT there is a whole new set of tools out there far superior for LW, hell LW on its own right now is better than using Lifeforms.

panini
05-18-2003, 04:10 PM
I'll have to look up that Digit Magazine.

Should be able to find it in New York? I hope

I am familiar with Lifeforms, yes it does look ugly , but since I have an older ( 2-3 years old version ) I can upgrade for only $89

cresshead
05-18-2003, 04:35 PM
hi
to help you find the right mag...

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/display_news.cfm?NewsID=2875

your looking for the june issue BTW

steve g

panini
05-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks,

Found it ( on line ) and will try to find it somewhere in Manhattan today. If not successful I guess I'll have to order it on line.