PDA

View Full Version : Fight club zoomtrick as applied to architecture

Exception
02-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Small animation test project of my current studio work using the fight-club zoom-perspective cinematic trick, this time from an architectural flat section to a full perspective. Also line raindeering goodness.
thought i'd share.
100% lightwave of course.

animation here:
http://www.except.nl/overig/uploads/2xvid.avi

screenshot:

Gettarobox
02-24-2006, 09:07 PM
is that the same thing they did on vertigo(with extreme zoom to simulate orthoview) or diff? or was there a change in the LW9 beta NDA and you can show stuff on normal boards?

Exception
02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
This was done in lw 8.5.
The camera is just very far away. It's called the 'fight club' effect because it was first used in that movie, at least that's the move industry's name for it... It could very well have been in vertigo too :) Camera far away travels over rails to really close, and the zoom compensates. Creates a 'popping out of 2d' effect. its uite hard to do, and i didn't have time to perfect it, because the splines get all messed up because of the speed with which the camera approaches. It is 4km away :)

meatycheesyboy
02-24-2006, 10:12 PM
It is far older than Fight Club; I can't attest to it being called "the fight club effect" but I have heard of it called a dolly zoom. And I think Gettaro is right, it was first used in Vertigo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchcock_zoom

Very cool animation though.

Exception
02-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks, that's very useful info.
I'll remember that!

loki74
02-25-2006, 01:04 AM
Ive heard that referred to as "blowing out the background" as well.

Although i think the difference is how extreme it is... in this case it looks like its going from practically orthogonal to wide angle.

4km away... wow. Anyhoo, pretty effin sweet animation youve got there!:thumbsup:

exit6
03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
For some reason i can't see the video. What codec is it?

Titus
03-03-2006, 06:02 PM
I knew this as the "Spielberg zoon", but I prefer dolly zoom.

cgbloke2004
03-03-2006, 10:33 PM
yeah, more familiar with the reverse tracking or zoom in/dolly out as descriptions of this technique. 'vertigo' is the oft cited example of this technique.

cresshead
03-05-2006, 05:47 AM
hi..i know i'm being 'picky' bu this is a 'contra zoom' invented by alfed hitchcock and first seen in his film 'vertigo' back in the 1950's....lots of other directors have used this technical effect in horror flicks inc 'jaws'

Lightwolf
03-05-2006, 06:23 AM
We tend to call it the Vertigo Zoom in Germany... or just a Vertigo.

Lovely stuff if done right... horrible if not :)

Cheers,
Mike

apaulcalypse
03-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I learned that technique's name as the 'Hitchcock Zoom.' It was also used really effectively / famously in 'Goodfellas,' when Ray Liotta and Robert DeNiro are talking in the restaurant at the end (don't wanna spoil a great movie for those who haven't seen it by saying more)...