PDA

View Full Version : I am NOT.. I repeat, NOT going to upgrade......

mkiii
02-23-2006, 09:16 PM
....Oh blast it to hades in a rusty bucket. I seem to have pressed send on the OneVideo.co.uk checkout.

Now what am I going to do? How am I going to afford the gold plated kitty litter for the new pedigree - and don't she know it - kitten?

I hate it. I tried going cold turkey, but I couldn't resist.

Meaty
02-23-2006, 09:21 PM
:thumbsup: hahaha!!! nice

Dodgy
02-24-2006, 03:56 AM
What made you change your mind?

mkiii
02-24-2006, 05:37 AM
A combination of impulse buy, looming birthday, and a good month of Turbosquid sales.

That & the voices in my head keep telling me to spend money.

Bog
02-24-2006, 06:02 AM
That, and a night on the cocktails in London is more expensive than the upgrade...

Captain Obvious
02-24-2006, 08:20 AM
How much do cocktails cost in London, anyway? I could easily drink myself to death (and I mean that quite literally) while spending less money than the LW9 upgrade costs...

Bog
02-24-2006, 08:35 AM
How much do cocktails cost in London, anyway?

A high-falutin' club in the Mile will cheerfully zap you about 15 for something like a Long Island Iced Tea. That's actually a conservative estimate, it's possible to spend more than that.

Mate of mine's some Unix muck-a-muck, made a packet off the Y2K bug. He occasionally forgets that us mere mortals who *didn't* have a bank over a barrel have tastes that run more to pints of Guinness (which are still 3 blimmin' quid!) than they do to fruity things with silly names and parasols in 'em. Everyone once in a while he drags me into one of those places, and I watch my entire evening's beer budget turn into something that tastes like Kia-Ora.

MooseDog
02-24-2006, 08:58 AM
pints of Guinness (which are still 3 blimmin' quid!)

holy krappe!! that's over 6 bucks, for a pint of beer. i'm so sorry to hear that for you guys:D

Lightwolf
02-24-2006, 09:19 AM
holy krappe!! that's over 6 bucks, for a pint of beer. i'm so sorry to hear that for you guys:D
Yeah, but at least it's something that at least resembles beer ;) :beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike

colkai
02-24-2006, 09:20 AM
....Oh blast it to hades in a rusty bucket. I seem to have pressed send on the OneVideo.co.uk checkout.

Hmm, are you sure that was a wise move, you may well find yourself stuck with LW throughout the LW9 cycle. Next thing you know, you'll be thinking about joining the Beta program. :devil: ;)

So go on, we need to know, what forced you into this rash and foolish act? :p

colkai
02-24-2006, 09:24 AM
the voices in my head keep telling me to spend money.

You know I really hate when they do that! :p
Even the wife has noticed I've been buying stuff a lot recently, she noticed my latest purchase last night and with a dis-approving look in her eye said "Hmm, you seem to be buying a lot lately".

Better not tell her of the other 60 quids worth of stuff I've ordered on the ole CC then. :foreheads

Still, a boy has gotta have his toys, I mean, what's the alternative, spending it on the wife?
(I can type this safely as I'm at work and she is at home heheh, of course, if she ever sees this thread, I'm a dead man. :hey: )

Bog
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah, but at least it's something that at least resembles beer

I dunno, last time I was in the US, they had some quite potable stuff. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is actually a Pale Ale. I remember the start of that evening quite fondly... goes a bit squirrelly towards oh-dark-hundred, mind... ;)

I can honestly say that in nearly 11 years of freelancing, I've never had a LightWave upgrade *fail* to pay for itself within a month.

Captain Obvious
02-24-2006, 09:52 AM
The problem with American beer is that the only drinkable brands are the microbrewery ones almost nobody's ever heard of.

Intuition
02-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Yeah, but at least it's something that at least resembles beer ;) :beerchug:

Cheers,
Mike

Yeh, Living in Los Angeles sucks for Beer. I can find some crafts that are imported but if I am in a really hardcore taste mood I have a buddy ship me some Westvleteren 12s from the monastary in Belgium.

:beerchug:

When I finish with the Infinimap demos maybe you can send me something Mike ;)

:hijack: :D

Oh Capt Obvious, California has Russian River, Alesmiths, and Stone brewers which are nice US crafts. In case you didn't already know. ;)

jeremyhardin
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Yeh, Living in Los Angeles sucks for Beer. I can find some crafts that are imported but if I am in a really hardcore taste mood I have a buddy ship me some Westvleteren 12s from the monastary in Belgium.

Oh Capt Obvious, California has Russian River, Alesmiths, and Stone brewers which are nice US crafts. In case you didn't already know. ;)
I don't mind Anchor Steam as another California beer.

But mostly I drink Guinness here and pretend it tastes like it did in Dublin.

Bog
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
But mostly I drink Guinness here and pretend it tastes like it did in Dublin.

But but but but but but but it's been pasteurised!!!!!

TheDynamo
02-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Deschutes Brewery and Rogue Ales makes some GREAT brews. Dead Guy Ale and Black Butte Porter are great :)

-Dyn

mkiii
02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
How much do cocktails cost in London, anyway? I could easily drink myself to death (and I mean that quite literally) while spending less money than the LW9 upgrade costs...

What's a cocktail? I only drink coffee....

....and beer, and brandy....... and wine...... and Baileys.

mkiii
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
You know I really hate when they do that! :p
Even the wife has noticed I've been buying stuff a lot recently, she noticed my latest purchase last night and with a dis-approving look in her eye said "Hmm, you seem to be buying a lot lately".

Better not tell her of the other 60 quids worth of stuff I've ordered on the ole CC then. :foreheads

Still, a boy has gotta have his toys, I mean, what's the alternative, spending it on the wife?
(I can type this safely as I'm at work and she is at home heheh, of course, if she ever sees this thread, I'm a dead man. :hey: )

Mine is after a new bathroom & downstairs toilet, so I can milk that for a while yet. I bought a copy of Mo :censored: o before Christmas... and I'm sure I could find a spot for one of those nice 21" Wacom Cintiq, a snip at just 2100 ;)

james767
02-24-2006, 01:56 PM
:censored:

gjjackson
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
A high-falutin' club in the Mile will cheerfully zap you about 15 for something like a Long Island Iced Tea. That's actually a conservative estimate, it's possible to spend more than that.

Mate of mine's some Unix muck-a-muck, made a packet off the Y2K bug. He occasionally forgets that us mere mortals who *didn't* have a bank over a barrel have tastes that run more to pints of Guinness (which are still 3 blimmin' quid!) than they do to fruity things with silly names and parasols in 'em. Everyone once in a while he drags me into one of those places, and I watch my entire evening's beer budget turn into something that tastes like Kia-Ora.

HEY, Speak english. :jester:

mkiii
02-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Bloomin' cheek of these colonials.

harlan
02-24-2006, 05:14 PM
A combination of impulse buy, looming birthday, and a good month of Turbosquid sales.

Do you actually make money with Turbosquid sales? I wasn't sure if people actually bought stock models or not.

Bog
02-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Do you actually make money with Turbosquid sales? I wasn't sure if people actually bought stock models or not.

It's the "I can't be bothered" and the "I don't have time" equation.

"I've got 2 grand to do this job in... the hoover model exists and is $40!"

*SCHWAGGAGE!*

harlan
02-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I'd just never heard of anyone using it before. Back in the day, Viewpoint Datalabs had a kick ***** stock-model service, but it seems like those services aren't very popular anymore.

Bog
02-24-2006, 05:33 PM
If you post a model, and it doesn't sell... what have you lost?

mkiii
02-24-2006, 07:34 PM

I don't have a vast amount on there,
( http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm/FuseAction/ProcessSmartSearch/istIncAuthor/mkiii/blAuthorExact/y )
but I make enough to pay for stuff like 3d software.

There is definately a market, especially for good quality accurate models, which I try to provide, not that I ever made anything specifically for the site - it's just old stuff that I made for other jobs.

Viewpoint/Digimation were OK when that's all there was. I made some money out of them, but after a few years the royalties shrink to 0%. They still owe me some cash, but insist they dont - using the sale to Digimation as an excuse.

mkiii
02-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Totally OT Colin, but yesterday, a large Red Kite (the feathered variety), flew over my house, within 50ft of me. I've seen a pair of what I suspected were these birds from a distance nearby here, but yesterday confirmed it. I thought these B.o.P. were rare in the UK.

The wood pidgeons didn't like it one bit.

colkai
02-27-2006, 11:11 AM
There aer two or three "pockets" of them and last I heard, they are, like many of our BOPs thankfully, starting to make a comeback.
They are still centralised in Wales, and are still classed as a "Schedule 1", meaning a jail term is an option should they be disturbed on the nest.
Even so, it's pretty much accepted that they are (pardon the pun), branching out into other locations. :)
From what I've researched, there are certainly pairs in Hampshire as they have been released there since the mid 90's. They are sighted pretty regularly around Titchfield nature reserve.
As much as we'd love one of these beauties, their status means, barring someone bringing in one that could not be re-released, it'll never happen.

Of course, as you know, I'm a Red-Tailed Hawk guy myself. ;)

kopperdrake
02-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Deschutes Brewery and Rogue Ales makes some GREAT brews. Dead Guy Ale and Black Butte Porter are great :)

-Dyn

Oh - we get the Rogue beers here, love them :D Tried that one made with roasted cocoa beans in - amazing taste.

I hear a lot about the US microbreweries - apparently our decent real beers owe a lot to you guys stateside as a lot of our small brewers grew up by exporting stuff to your market! Kept them going when we were buying and drinking cat-pee a few years back :D

Had a client/friend come up from London to Derby the other day and was shocked at the price of beer - just over a couple of quid for a pint of lovely Abbots - he reckons you'll pay at least 3.50 at his local for a pint of decent stuff! Didn't have the heart to tell him that Pedigree at the local British Legion is only 1.50 a pint :D

If I ever visit the US I'll need a tour of the microbreweries :D

I can't wait til I retire...

...in 30 years :D

MooseDog
02-27-2006, 10:17 PM
f I ever visit the US I'll need a tour of the microbreweries

there are literally thousands upon thousands of local brewpubs here these days, single guys slaving away in basement breweries producing brews that are unique and fantastic. family operations with great beer and great food and great atmosphere, usually doing land-office business, deservedly so.

for those coming over anytime, just google your destinations and brewpubs, GUARANTEE you'll find a ton!

purchasing mass marketed beer is for the idiot consumer when quality and individual artistry is just around the corner.:beerchug:

Lightwolf
02-28-2006, 03:06 AM

Sheesh, I almost missed that one.
I don't think it would make it through customs due to the resamblance to WMDs ;)
But you're welcome to come over for a pint or two :D

O.k. now, so who remembers the Monty Python joke about american beer then? :devil:

Cheers,
Mike

kopperdrake
02-28-2006, 04:29 AM
purchasing mass marketed beer is for the idiot consumer when quality and individual artistry is just around the corner.:beerchug:

:agree: :beerchug:

Bog
02-28-2006, 05:00 AM
I love the way this thread has metamorphosed into a brewery discussion...

Captain Obvious
02-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Drinking beer is a lot more fun than not upgrading to LW9. ;)

Bog
02-28-2006, 06:19 AM
You say that like you can only do one or the other!

DogBoy
02-28-2006, 07:16 AM
You say that like you can only do one or the other!

I for one only bit the bullet on the upgrade, after a night of Paulaner & Leifmanns. Personally I blame the Leifmanns! The fruit in the beer obviously went straight to my head. :p

Captain Obvious
02-28-2006, 07:30 AM
You'll notice that I said "...than not upgrading." As DogBoy proved, you can't do just one of them. If you drink beer, you also upgrade. ;)

mkiii
02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
You'll notice that I said "...than not upgrading." As DogBoy proved, you can't do just one of them. If you drink beer, you also upgrade. ;)

It also explains the voices in my head telling me to press the buy now button.

DogBoy
03-01-2006, 05:14 AM
It also explains the voices in my head telling me to press the buy now button.

Hey, that was NOT me!!! I was at home nursing a bottle of 10 year old Metuselah :hey: .

Bog
03-01-2006, 05:30 AM
I was at home nursing a bottle of 10 year old Metuselah

Surely it'd be 969 years old with that name? ;)

Matt
03-01-2006, 05:34 AM
The wood pidgeons didn't like it one bit.

LOL! Wood pidgeons aren't too bad, but Town pidgeons all need culling!!!

DogBoy
03-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Surely it'd be 969 years old with that name? ;)

It never GETS to be that old. It's one of the finest (Cuban) rums I've ever had, and I come from a looooong line of rum drinkers.
Thinking about it now, maybe I shouldn't blame the fruit afterall ;)