PDA

View Full Version : About the LW9 MultiShift demo...

Snosrap
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
It's about time Newtek looks at these tools that don't work when multiple layers are selected. Point Normal Move, Move Plus, Translate Plus, Rove, Spline Guide, Edge Bevel, Rounder, Magic Bevel and many others, don't work with multiple selected layers as well. Personally I hope NT spends zero time on these tools as they now stand. Most of these tools should be integrated into just a few. Although I think Multishift is a nice step up from Supershift, there needs to be one tool that will handle all the bevels, one tool for all the translations and one for all the scaling. I want to be a able to model in the perspective view with more precision and control. Rotating the view and holding the Ctrl key to constrain movement just slows me down. Give me some handles that I can grab and constrain movement or some sort of workplane and also allow me to translate along a polygon normal. ( Translate Plus just doesn't get it) Rotate a simple cube at 45 deg.and then try to move one of the polys along it's now rotated normal, should be a breeze but isn't. Sure it's always nice to have more tools and functions, but I'd like NT to focus on making the tools that we currently have more cohesive and functional, and yes be able to work with when multiple layers are open.

Cheers Snos

Stooch
02-23-2006, 09:28 PM
hmm, sounds like a FEATURE REQUEST.... hint hint

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
I too have been frustrated with with trying to use multishift(and other tools) on an object only to find out it wont work because I have multiple layers selected. :(

Maybe in time this will be changed. The Newtek Dev team seems to have alot on there plate right now. I think once they have the foundation in place we may see alot of things get integrated but I'm not expecting any really huge changes regarding modeling tools until maybe Lightwave 10 at the earliest. Athough from the looks of it in the Lightwave 9 demo vids the foundations are being put in place for better modeling methods like edges! :thumbsup:

Snosrap
02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
hmm, sounds like a FEATURE REQUEST.... hint hint
I would think NT would get the hint by now, but as nj3Design says "The Newtek Dev team seems to have alot on there plate right now." I think edges will be a really sweet addition to 9 and if FPrime works with the new Nodal surfacing system that will be huge. But I think nj3Design is also accurate by saying " not expecting any really huge changes regarding modeling tools until maybe Lightwave 10 at the earliest." I enjoy using LW enough to wait things out, but LW 10 better rock.

Cheers
Snos