PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Demo Reel

Meaty
02-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone, thought I would share the 2006 demo from the place I work. It's not too horrible. :thumbsup:

http://mtsi-va.com/Graphics/MTSI_Demo_06_Web.mpg

JeffRutan
03-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey Proteus! Cool!
-Jeff

SP00
03-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Wow nice... How did you get the first fighter plane to get draw in like that?

adrian
03-11-2006, 02:19 AM
I was going to ask the same thing!

Very nice reel.... I take it you are going specifically for military jobs?

lesterfoster
03-11-2006, 06:24 PM

I was going to ask the same thing!

I would like to know the same. Extremely cool and good demo real.

DiscoBurgess
03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
A clip map or transparency map (using a gradient) moving along the plane would do the trick. I did something similar a while ago. You end up having to set up a model's surface specifically for the effect, but it can look pretty neat. The bright leading edge effect can be made with another version of the model, with brighter settings, revealing itself just ahead of the "solid" version. Or I guess you could incorporate it into the transparency effect, thinking about it, on the base version.

If anyone needs a better explanation of this (because I know this was a bit muddled) I can provide one. Or Meaty might do a better job!

SP00
03-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks DiscoBurgess, that was actually a pretty good explanation. Its all I needed to get started on understanding this effect. It pretty cool. Maybe you can write a tutorial on it :thumbsup:

adrian
03-16-2006, 07:42 AM
I sort of understand that, apart from the "You end up having to set up a model's surface specifically for the effect" bit - I don't really understand what you mean by this.

Is it just me or does anyone else find clip maps a real P.I.T.A to use? Whatever I do, I just cannot seem to create soft edges with them, even if my clip map itself has one.

dwburman
03-16-2006, 07:54 AM
As far as I know clip maps can't have a soft edge. You'd need to use a transparency map for that... but of course, there are issues with that as well.

Stooch
03-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Ive got to say, that is the WORST sound track i have ever heard. it reminds me of old, cheesy, infomercial soundtracks back from the 80s...

cool 3d stuff though. i just muted it.

Meaty
03-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Wow, haven't visited this thread in a while and now there are a bunch of responses! Thanks for all the compliments.

I used two objects, first one was for the appearance of the "clay" object, and its appearance/electric effect. It is done mostly with surfacing. There is some clip mapping in there. If I remember correctly, I used the clip map for the appearing of the object, and the electric effect/corona effect distracts from the hard edge. The second object was for the "painting" of the F-15 and its electric effect. It was just a couple of Nulls that were used to control all the textures and various Alpha masks. As the Nulls move, they bring the transparency/clip (and other) textures along for the ride, and voila, you have an appearing object.

adrian,
Yes, MTSI's area of expertise is military. The artists at MTSI actually understand military systems, and if they don't, there is a huge staff of military engineers they can and do get expertise from. (MTSI is primarily a defense engineering firm.)

Stooch,
I couldn't agree more. I HATED the soundtrack, but I was out voted. :bangwall: I should have warned everyone to put it on mute.

Darrell
03-20-2006, 02:23 PM
nice reel...i see you do a lot of military/government type work...so do you freelance or you're government contracted?

Meaty
03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
nice reel...i see you do a lot of military/government type work...so do you freelance or you're government contracted?

Thanks! MTSI is an engineering firm primarily. Initially the Multimedia Department was primarily a support function to help our engineers better tell their stories. However, the internal need has faded a bit and the department now take their own "freelance" work. And yes, the niche is government/military.

www.mtsi-va.com

jesuoas
04-06-2006, 11:25 AM
*** Edited by Moderators. Message does not apply to this thread. ***