PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxels to geometry

Zach
05-18-2003, 03:02 AM
wouldn't it be kewl if we could bake out hypervoxels into geometry?

Once we decide the settings we like within our scene, then we could hit the 'convert to polygons' button, and wha la, we are able to navigate within our scene and know exactly the boundaries of the once hypervoxels now polygons.

just thought of that when i was glancing at the asteroid tutorial in the tutorial section on this site. It would be pretty hard to fly a ship through the asteroid field without knowing the boundaries of the hypervoxels.

Maybe it'd be feasible if we could have some representation of the boundaries vs. the conversion to polygons. But If you convert the hypervoxels to polygons, rendering time would probably be cut by 90%!

just a suggestion.

Panikos
05-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Volumetric Hypervoxels converting into polygons may require 2 days of processing, maybe way much more.

Surface Hypervoxels 2 polygons is more feasible, but still again requires a lot of processing, and the results wont be as smooth as native Hypervoxels.

Volumetric is poking values into a 3d-space. Polygons is 3 or more points (under preconditions) connected defining a surface.

Mylenium
05-18-2003, 06:01 AM
Mmh Panikos,

I'm not so sure about computational issues. Since surface HVs basically apply similar algorithms as normal Meta balls it should not be too difficult to convert them into geometry. This can of course only be done if they are visible to Layout other than when rendered.

Mylenium

erikals
05-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Yes :) ......
it would be cool.

Personally i don't care that much about how much process power it would take. But I guess that's just me :)

Erik