PDA

View Full Version : New Video: Multishift

MrWyatt
02-23-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_demos.php

YAY, first to post it.

KillMe
02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
not watched the vid yet but didn't we already have mutlitshift in 8.5?

Auger
02-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Now works in multiple layers.

Jon

WilliamVaughan
02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
sounds like a simple update but now that I use Multishift alot being able to use it across multi layers is a massive improvement for my workflow.

Stooch
02-23-2006, 09:36 PM
lol. ok.

i noticed how they have all these "shifting" tools right next to each other. wouldnt it be nice if it was just a single button instead???

Werner
02-24-2006, 01:44 AM
lol. ok.

i noticed how they have all these "shifting" tools right next to each other. wouldnt it be nice if it was just a single button instead???

Yeah, I went through the tools the other day and just smiled at the amount of tools that could be joined into single keypads. I hope they streamline this at some stage.

Multishift is a great tool. I find myself using more and more. I just wish it could work out and fix overlapping corners like some of the commercial bevel plugins out there.

FranK10
02-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Have you seen my previous post here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=346882&postcount=23

Don't you think it should be useful to rar videos? Or why not?

WilliamVaughan
02-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Have you seen my previous post here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=346882&postcount=23

Don't you think it should be useful to rar videos? Or why not?

I saw your post. I don't post the videos online....I just make them. Feel free to send the webmaster an email with your suggestions

Lewis
02-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I didn't watch video yet (slow connection speed so download is in progress ;)) but i hoped that multishift in 9 will replace supershift, smoothshift and bevel all together. Only thing what multishift now can't is to work as bevel (each polygon on separate shift if they are near each of other). So this new multishift is upraded to multilayers but not yet to single poly ???

WilliamVaughan
02-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Consolidation is key!

Exception
02-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Um, i thought tools that wern't working across multiple layers or in the uv window were bugs...

Nice video though...

FranK10
02-25-2006, 07:55 AM
I saw your post. I don't post the videos online....I just make them. Feel free to send the webmaster an email with your suggestions

Ok, sorry. I assumed you could manage this thing. I'll mail the webmaster.

Stooch
02-26-2006, 07:34 PM
rar isnt as widespread as zip. id recommend zip instead.

FranK10
02-27-2006, 04:45 AM
rar isnt as widespread as zip. id recommend zip instead.

It' s true that zip is more widespread, but in this case they really should choose rar.
The point is that generally, you take a difference of 'only' 2-5% with rar. BUT in these videos you got 20% compression more than zip! This is incredibly better.

Remember that we are talking of video tutorials of a 3d Software. I presume quite all of us are experienced people that can't get problems installing a rar prog if we can manage a very complex program like LW (as we have done with TSCC codec that isn't widespread at all as for example to divx). They could put a link to decompressor, as they did for TSCC codec.
The advantage is also you don't need to decompress the rar file, you double click on video in the rar window and it automatically opens on your default video player.

So I'd stick to rar and invite all of you to install it.

I PM'ed Brian, the Webmaster. I'll wait his answer.

btw: RAR it's a great compression prog, it's a MUST for everyone in every case...

FranK10
02-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Ok, I've got Brian answer where he says he has no time to compress them...

So, I'm again on you Proton, but I think I imagine your answer.

It's sad to me people don't get the point to reduce HALF size down with all the process during *literally* less than 30 seconds of more work. (i've tryed it on 50MB).

Well, it could be the same to post pics in bmp or tiff instead of jpg. Or why to compress the exe of programs or to make zip: we could put them uncompressed... I don't understand.

In every case I appreciate A LOT all your efforts to give us these videos. They are great.
It was only a suggestion to improve the work with less effort with great result.

stone
02-28-2006, 04:53 AM
he advantage is also you don't need to decompress the rar file, you double click on video in the rar window and it automatically opens on your default video player

obviously the system is decompressing the file before it can decode it, though its doing it hidden in the background. zip can do the same thing.

It was only a suggestion to improve the work with less effort with great result.

me personally wouldnt want to download compressed files. i want to be able to stream them so i can watch them instantly and doesnt have to bother with downloading and unpacking before viewing.

for the above reason your comparrision with pictures and exe files are really off too.

anyway, i have used rar for litterly ages and have to agree that it does a better job at compressing stuff than zip, which basicly stinks and only got widespread because of a few nifty programs. at the cost of better compression algoritms.

/stone