PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Who's Tardis

adrian
02-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I did this for an exercise in texturing and lighting. I've gone for a real beat-up look, similar to the Tardis in the very first series - there seems to have been several versions of the ship throughout the years, some have a blue "public call box" sign, others a black one (the latest series for instance). I think the original Tardis also had white window frames. So this model is sort of a hybrid between all of them.

Crits/comments/ways to improve this always welcome. :)

I'll try and come up with an idea for a scene that I can put this in, but as I've finished the modelling/texturing/lighting I figured I'd post it in here.

shadowlock
02-27-2006, 10:22 PM
As a longtime Dr Who fan... Very nice :thumbsup:
But I don't remember it being that beaten up :D

shadowlock
02-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Oh, and the door text I thought was blue backing with white lettering...

Chazz
02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Nice job! Have you been watching the new series? :)

My only comment would be that it does look a little too beaten up, and the scale seems to be off on the grunge... it appears large, which to my eye makes this look like a 6" tall TARDIS.

adrian
02-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the comments :)

Yes it is too beaten up to be an exact representation of the Tardis, but that's ok - I just went a bit manic on the textures when painting them in Photoshop!!

As for the colours, this seems to vary between the models. For instance, the white lettering on blue background was on the older version, but in the new series it's black on white (I checked on the BBC website).

Can't wait for the new series this year - finally the Cybermen are coming back!!!!

Matt
02-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry I can't see it, I'm hiding behind the sofa!!! :)

shaol
02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
i can't get the music out of my head. nice

mbaldwin
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Ya know, I never caught a lot of Dr. Who in the states, except on Public Television a few times when I was a teen. I remember getting an adolecent buzz for Teegan, who hung out with the blond Dr. Who with the celery on his lapel.

But as far as the piece, I love the colors! The blue and that green in the windows are a great combo--real lush. I love it just as an object.

-m.

Titus
02-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I almost felt so dumb to not know what Dr Who is, but a 5 seconds search at google came to this image (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/gallery/tennant/800/t2.jpg), now I feel better.

Gettarobox
02-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Dr. Who has been going for ever.It is British. There has been like 10 different Dr. Whos(don't know exact number(i live in the USA)).
I watched it all the time when I was young.
Hey Starbase- you should make his dog from the old days of Tom Baker I think.?.?.?

Bog
02-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Ahhh, smashing.

The current Tardis doesn't look *quite* that beaten up, but there was a wonderfully kinetic moment in last years' Christmas special where it crashed off two buildings and hammered into a bunch of dumpsters. I imagine that added a ding or two to it ;)

It's amazing how much subtlety you've managed to work into what's basically a minimally-crenellated cuboid. Top job.

I think it might be your camera settings as much as the size of the flakes out of the paint that makes the first render look A Bit Small.