PDA

View Full Version : ClipMap & UVs problems (7.x)

Aegis
05-17-2003, 05:32 PM
I was hoping this was fixed in 7.5c but I guess not - has anyone else experienced this problem?

http://www.darksunworld.com/LightWave3D/Clipmap.jpg

The leaves have a UV-mapped clip on them but on some rendering passes they are not rendered causing transparency on Enhanced Antialiasing and that horrible mess on regular AA.

Does Mac LW suffer from this too?

Any chance of a fix in [8]? :(

Aegis
05-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Let's try that again...

Aegis
05-18-2003, 09:29 PM
Aw, c'mon! I'm not the only 'Waver with knackered clip maps am I? :confused:

Wade
05-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Andrew,

I have had a similar problem, as my leaves would disappear at various times, and in reflections. I think I have found a solution. The fine texture of our clip maps may be giving us grief with the pixel blending and texture antialiasing turned on by default in the Texture editor - when adding a clip map to your object. Try turning both of these off.

Again I have had trees fade in and out of a rendering and disappear in a reflection but turning these features off seems to have solved my problem and perhaps it might yours aswell.

Wade - Cypress Texas

image in next post

Wade
05-19-2003, 12:25 AM
image attached now.

colkai
05-19-2003, 02:27 AM
Wade,
I vaguely recall reading something to that effect in an earlier post, it isn't limited to 7.5C I believe.
Something about the nature of AA & pixel blending vs the 'clean cut' nature of clip maps was the reason.

Your action of disabling these things was right as I understand it. When you think about it, how do you 'blur' a clip map? you know, if your Texture AA is up high? Clip maps operate on a strictly B&W basis, so pixel blending and AA blur them to produce shades of grey.
Therefore, I assume, wherever ANY white, however 'dim' appears, it tries to show it.

I think that makes sense! :p

Aegis
05-19-2003, 04:49 AM
Holy heck, you guys just saved me hours of rendering time!

It's texture antialiasing that messes the clipmaps up - pixel blending doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks again for the tip!