PDA

View Full Version : Dual Core and 64bit

philipsavage
02-22-2006, 05:08 AM
It's time for me to upgrade my 2.2Ghz PC (1 gig RAM) as modeller gets slower amd stickier with every added uv map.
I'm thinking Dual Core AMD64. My question, to those who know:
Does LW8.5 utilise the benefits of dual core and is the 64 bit LW significantly faster than the 32bit version?
If I decide to use LW64 what issues should I be aware of, for instance, do third party plugins written for LW32 work in LW64?
Your comments would be appreciated.

lots
02-22-2006, 09:36 AM
I've not noticed much speed improvements with 64bit LW, except for the fact you can utilize huge data sets with ease. Unfortunately 32bit plugins will not work in 64bit lightwave.

Lamont
02-23-2006, 01:49 AM
http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=49

Lightwolf
02-23-2006, 02:27 AM
http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=49
Yeah, but they completely switched systems, so there is no way of saying how much of the improvement is actually due to 32bit vs. 64 bit... most of the speed bump seems to come from old vs. new.

Cheers,
Mike

lots
02-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Indeed, I find that article fairly misleading. Most of thier improvements DEFINATELY came from upgrading to new hardware. I mean they did go from a 1 or 2 way system to a 4 way modern system. Of cource they'll see numbers like they did.

LW64bit isn't that much different than 32bit, aside from the ability to manipulate large datasets.

Lamont
02-23-2006, 09:52 AM
How else can you bench LW 64? If you're going to build a sweet workstation, the ones they made would be dang near it.

It's a bench of Old Vs. New. I did the same thing when I went form my old workstation to the one I have now.

st45
02-23-2006, 11:08 AM
It's time for me to upgrade my 2.2Ghz PC (1 gig RAM) as modeller gets slower amd stickier with every added uv map.
I'm thinking Dual Core AMD64. My question, to those who know:
Does LW8.5 utilise the benefits of dual core and is the 64 bit LW significantly faster than the 32bit version?
If I decide to use LW64 what issues should I be aware of, for instance, do third party plugins written for LW32 work in LW64?
Your comments would be appreciated.

I have an AMD 4800+ system (dual core). I have to say that I'm very pleased with it. The multitasking capabilities have given me a tremendous boost in productivity. I suspect however that a dual processor system would be even better because of bandwidth issues.

Consider getting 2-4 GB of ram in your new system. Dealing with large datasets is where LW64 should really shine.

LW 8.5 64 is slightly faster at rendering than the 32 bit version. However, as mentioned, compiled plugins don't work, unless they are recompiled for 64 bit. Newtek ought to offer a plugin recompile service to speed this transitional process. In fact it would help for them to proactively contact plugin developers and offer to recompile their plugins since I'm sure there are many developers who just can't afford a new 64 bit system. Anyone listening NT?

Since almost all of my projects seem to incorporate third party plug-ins I have been limited in my ability to make use of LW64. (Seems I'm always checking Flay.com for some tool to speed up my freelance work.)

I wish that every plugin developer would include an uncompiled version of his lscript as well as the compiled one, or even better, just let the user compile the lscripts after we download them. I recognize this isn't likely because ppl want to protect their ideas.

Lightwolf
02-23-2006, 11:40 AM
How else can you bench LW 64? If you're going to build a sweet workstation, the ones they made would be dang near it.

By comparing the 32bit version vs. the 64bit version on the same workstation.

It's a bench of Old Vs. New. I did the same thing when I went form my old workstation to the one I have now.
Exactly. But it doesn't have much to do with performance improvements due to 64bit, those aren't singled out in the process.
It is a valid comparison (as would be LW 5.6 vs. 8.0, or Maya vs. XSI or whatever) .... but not really a benchmark (I'm just mentioning it because some people seem to have that impression: "Wow, LW 64bit is xxxx% faster!!!").

Cheers,
Mike

Riff_Masteroff
02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
I find LW64 8.5 on XP64 to be the only place I want to do my work. The test for me was to render the LW5.6 (?) P51 fighter plane content model at a very high resolution (7680x4320) and lotsa AA passes.

LW32 8.5 on XP64 returned a nasty, but expected, out-of-memory error. LW64 8.5 on XP64 rendered the same in 1 1/2 minutes and produced a 93meg photoshop file when saved.

The computer named Shea was assembled late last December. I am still experimenting and getting used to it. Windows XP is entirely new to me: I used to use Windows 2000. Right now it is sort of battle between me and the OS as to who gets to use the computer. I do NOT like having my work interrupted by OS pop-ups.

From here on out, I will not buy any plugin that can't be used by LW64 natively. Lightwave is quite well featured out of the box- I can live without old hair and some of the other stuff.

Just my opinion and my two cents.

Riff Masteroff

Shea=
Dual Opteron 280 (two cpus)
a half tank of RAM (8 gigs)
8 seagate harddrives (400mb ea)
2 for OS and other stuff
5 on RAID 5 (no backups needed - is redundant)
1 unpowered spare to replace futue failed hard drive
7800 GTX 256mb
And the most beautiful plain black case (Lian Li) that I have ever seen

Riff_Masteroff
02-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I find LW64 8.5 on XP64 to be the only place I want to do my work. The test for me was to render the LW5.6 (?) P51 fighter plane content model at a very high resolution (7680x4320) and lotsa AA passes.

LW32 8.5 on XP64 returned a nasty, but expected, out-of-memory error. LW64 8.5 on XP64 rendered the same in 1 1/2 minutes and produced a 93meg photoshop file when saved.

The computer named Shea was assembled late last December. I am still experimenting and getting used to it. Windows XP is entirely new to me: I used to use Windows 2000. Right now it is sort of battle between me and the OS as to who gets to use the computer. I do NOT like having my work interrupted by OS pop-ups.

From here on out, I will not buy any plugin that can't be used by LW64 natively. Lightwave is quite well featured out of the box- I can live without old hair and some of the other stuff.

Just my opinion and my two cents.

Riff Masteroff

Shea=
2 for OS and other stuff
7800 GTX 256mb
And the most beautiful plain black case (Lian Li) that I have ever seen

Lamont
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Shea=
2 for OS and other stuff
7800 GTX 256mb
And the most beautiful plain black case (Lian Li) that I have ever seenNice set up, I'm going for a similar setup but with a dual GPU Asus card, 4 gigs of ram and just 800gb of HDD space.

And these are the most beautiful Lian-Li cases:

http://www.digitalweaponx.net/FTP/bro_sis.jpg

StereoMike
02-24-2006, 12:20 AM
whoa, I'm really impressed by the facts of your system (shea).

And of course you will be impressed by the first additional payment for the electricity bill...

At least you don't have shovel the snow off the driveway anymore.

:D

Mike aka pure envy

nt65
02-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Holy crap Riff_Masteroff. Thats some serious kit.
Actualy I am in the process of upgrading to almost what you have minus 2GB and 5 HD.

But, why did you go for the 7800 card and not a quadro?
Just curious in your decision.

thanks

Albertdup
02-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi

I did some benchmarks on dual-core and 64 here
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45621&highlight=quick

lots
02-24-2006, 01:11 PM
I have the Lian Li V2000B, the bigger version of the case on the right in that pic. It is a pretty nice case :) Plenty of room, and everything for all my components.

I opted for it due to the lack of a door. Which in my book is a big +.

Now that the dual core Opterons have dropped in price, I think I may pick up a pair of 270s after a paycheck or two :) At which point I'll probably want to up my ram to 6GB.

Silly voices that say *buy me buy me*

Lamont
02-24-2006, 02:31 PM
I opted for it due to the lack of a door. Which in my book is a big +.I have a 2yr old, so door is good. I put the one on the right in the garage. I may sell it and get another like the one on the left.

Silly voices that say *buy me buy me*I get those too, but if I really don't want to listen to them, I drown them in liquor...

Riff_Masteroff
02-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Hello all,

I wasn't expecting so much feedback to my posting. In response:

At purchase time, I would never have guessed that the Lian-Li case (V2100B Plus RT) "makes" the computer. It is similar to lots and Lamont's cases. Lamont's photo (on the left, marked YAY!!!) is very close to mine. The visual problem is that cameras have a low dynamic range and that image, no offense, doesn't due sensual justice to the look and feel of the reality it imitates.

SteroMike wrote: "...impressed by the first additional payment for the electricity bill... ". I didn't mention that I use a 1000 watt power supply (PC Power & Cooling) and the system is noisy (many fans). "Shea" has got to last me at least four years. The initial cost ( $9000+ without monitors) and ongoing electricity consumption is worth it to me. This is what I do in life.

nt65 wrote: "But, why did you go for the 7800 card and not a quadro?". It was a judgement call on my part. Some say you don't need a so-called pro card for LW use and some say otherwise. The 7800 GTX 256mb card does work OK. My workflow is not hindered by display problems. As we both know, the graphics card has no effect on lightwave output.

Riff Masteroff

But no one said any thing about the whole point of my posting: LW32 simply doesn't work in a normal situation and LW64 does. Sometimes I want to do large renders for print. Work-arounds like render strips & split render aren't required.