PDA

View Full Version : Network rendering systems.

Capt Lightwave
05-17-2003, 08:40 AM
What's YOUR preferred network renderer, and why?

Aegis
05-17-2003, 06:25 PM
ScreamerNet 'cause I've been using it for years and never had a problem with it - last company I worked for I set up a 20 CPU renderfarm which ran flawlessly with SN...

Guess I've been lucky eh? ;)

papou
05-18-2003, 07:14 AM
I'm using tequila scream render everyday and i really like it.
All others are difficult to install, a pain to use, with features i don't need, or too expensive for me.
TS was the solution for my 10 LW machines...
so i can't vote.

Ade
05-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by papou
All others are difficult to install, a pain to use, with features i don't need, or too expensive for me.
TS was the solution for my 10 LW machines...
so i can't vote.

OSX compatible? tell us more

papou
05-18-2003, 11:10 AM
no, it's intel only, sorry Ade.
more info on: http://www.digitaltoons.tv/shop/

Paul Lara
05-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by papou
...so I can't vote.

At Tom's request, I've added TequilaScream to the items, so you can now change your vote. :)

wapangy
05-18-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm on the mac so I can only use Screamer, but its works well if you use ScreamerNet Controller (which I can't afford :( )

trentonia
05-19-2003, 08:22 AM
My favorite network renderer is http://www.respower.com . I know this is not exactly what you wanted, but this is my answer. I love these guys. Their farm is fast and cheap. I don't have to maintain my own farm anymore. All the money I used to spend on extra machines, I now spend on ME. Try it...You'll like it.
greg

head worm
05-19-2003, 12:16 PM
The poll isn't strictly accurate.

ScreamerNet (LWSN) is the only way to network render with Lightwave. Third party plugins and programs act as screamernet controllers. I use TequilaScream for the PC and ScreamerNet Controller from Catalyst for Macs.

TequilaScream is a dream, although it can't get around the fundamental problems with LWSN - such as certain plugins causing it to crash (Sliders being the biggest pain).

If you don't use a third party controller then you are using Lightwave as the controller, which has its own crude but often effective interface for this purpose. Therefore, ScreamerNet shouldn't really be an option. It should read 'Lightwave'.

Cheers

Head Worm
www.the-worms-of-art.com

Matt
05-19-2003, 12:34 PM
As much as I think it sucks I use ScreamerNet because I managed to get it working (finally!)

If I hadn't I'd probably have resorted to one of the above!!!

:)

3D|Dave
05-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Tequila Scream!!

Why, Because it works great and I don't believe I should have to pay someone else to use the render nodes that come with the software.

garg
05-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Beside the fact I'm one of the developer of Amleto :cool:, if we compare the easy to use/installation I think Amleto is by far one of the simpliest. If you do not belive me just try it :-)

http://www.rayserver.com

Realy we spend a lot of time to enable Amleto to auto configure/install every thing for you. You should be up and running in less than 5 minutes (once you have downloaded the 1.2Mb zip file that contain Amleto)

Alain Bertrand

DarkLight
05-20-2003, 09:00 AM
I also use Amleto.

I'm slightly biased there as i'm also a developer on it :)

Lightwolf
05-20-2003, 09:04 AM
I've ran Lightnet with LW5.6 on a 18 CPU farm, then we switched to spider and are still using it today.
I'm still quite happy with it, we must have rendered around 1 million frames on our farm during the past 4 years.
I like spider because you have access to all tasks from all machines, installation is flawless and completely remote.
I'd still like it to catch crashed nodes a bit better, and I'd like to see more statistics as well as an estimated time to render display (So I can tell my nosy customers how much longer they'll have to wait).
I like the fact that it renders the frames in consecutive "bunches" of x frames, because some plugins need to cache data, and jumping around the frames wildly can be bad for performance in that case.
Cheers,
Mike

DarkLight
05-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
I like the fact that it renders the frames in consecutive "bunches" of x frames, because some plugins need to cache data, and jumping around the frames wildly can be bad for performance in that case.

This is a feature we've recently added to Amleto. I've got to say that it drastically improves performance when rendering most scenes.

Lightwolf
05-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Hi Darklight,
I guess I'll have to check out the demo some time then, to see if I like it :)
Cheers,
Mike

DarkLight
05-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Hi Mike,

Check out the demo. Let us know what you think.

At the moment Amleto is a new application, and while lacking some of the features of the more mature network rendering solutions, we always listen to feedback from users about what is needed. If any vital functions are missing, we do our best to add them.

If anyone has any questions or requests, then please contact Alain or myself. Details available from the link in my sig.

Steve