PDA

View Full Version : In need of a texture guru

cohominous
02-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Well, maybe not guru... but someone who knows more than me! Here's the deal. As shown on the attachment, a giant seam in my polygon is doing crazy things to my textures! At first i assumed it was a flipped normal on a smaller polygon, but alas, it is one polygon. How does this happen? More importantly, how do I fix it?

One other thing, any suggestions on how to make realistic stainless? This one was made from a fractal noise bump map and a brdf anistropic II shader applied with 75% specular, 5% glossiness, Anistropy 5 degrees, direction 95 degrees. I have very little experience with BRDF so I may have jacked it all up and not known the difference.

Elmar Moelzer
02-21-2006, 08:11 PM
The error is a degenerated polygon, I think. Select the polygon and check the Info (Shortcut i).
Trippling might help, but in the worst case you will have to rebuild the polyon completely (kill it with "k" on the keyboard this leaves the points then rebuild it in polys a 4 vertices).

For realistic metallic surfaces I strongly suggest to use reflections instead of speculars.
CU
Elmar

cohominous
02-22-2006, 08:17 AM
The polygon info says it's not degenrate (see attachment). This polygon "seam" was created when i did a boolean operation to get the holes you see. According to the info window, there are 134 points because of it and would be very difficult to rebuild. Can anyone help?

P.S. I don't think there is a reflection option for BRDF anistropic II shaders. But I do have the reflections turned fairly high (40%) in the basic attributes tab and it's set to refelect a fractal pattern in the environment tab. Any other suggestions for realistic stainless steel?

ericsmith
02-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Try knifing the polygon horizontally across each hole. I've found that single polys with holes like that (and a cut running up to it) tend to render a bit funky.

Eric