PDA

View Full Version : help with volumetric rays of light...

bkr
02-16-2003, 01:22 PM
greetings all,

i'd like to see about finding help with getting the right look when applying a volumetric spot light behind text to emit rays of light. what i do ends up looking washed out but with 'ok' rays of light shining through.

i'd like a small but intense source light with wide spreading rays peeking through the text.

the text i have is rather wide... and i've poked around for many days trying to figure it out.

ideas?

tyvm for your time! :D

mattclary
02-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Been trying to use volumetrics myself without a lot of success. Trying to create an underwater scene with a fish above the camera casting a volumetric shadow. I'm using fog to simulate the water. The fish just won't seem to cast a shadow. Using 6.5b. Any tips or hints?

Pegman
03-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Volumetrics always seem to have a tendancy to overcast with light if not handled correctly. For best results, obviously with Ray traced shadows on, try using lower luminosity settings and crank up the the height. this will add more luminosity the higher it goes up so you will have to use viper to get a good sense of the light effect. also I have found that making the cone angle smaller sharpens the shadow effect as more light consentrated when placed close to obscuring objects. I have an example somewhere let me know if it will help and will give you a link to it.:D

PHilly[Dee]
03-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Matt, any more details on the type of light you're using? Off the top of my head if you want to see instant results you can use a SpotLight with a shadow map. This gets you in the ball park and then you can start tweeking after that.

Arte
03-06-2003, 05:19 AM
Unless you have a whole load of time available and are not being paid. Volumetric lights for the effect you are talking about are imo a bit of a nono.

Polygons work much faster and are much easier to set up although it depends on your LW experience. You can shape them as you want, where you want and render them with the smoothness you want with the right alpha channels.

X

mattclary
03-06-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone, kinda never got back to this post. Fiddled with it for a while and finally figured out how to make them work.