PDA

View Full Version : QuicktimePro 7 Encoding of RTV Files for the Web?

joevideo
02-21-2006, 01:49 PM
I have just added QuicktimePro 7 to my VT2 system (Win XP) and I would like to render/encode my edited program for posting on the internet as a H.264 mov file.

Is the Quicktime codec suppose to be available in my Render Panel options? If so it's not - how do I get it to show up?

If I need to render inside VT and then encode outside VT in QuicktimePro what are the best settings/options to use inside VT and externally in Quicktime?

Thanks

Joevideo

KenBennett
02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
:help: I too want to know how I can take my VT[3] projects and get them on my iPod. I know I need QTPro.

What is the best way to get from here to there?

Thanks

ScorpioProd
02-21-2006, 05:27 PM
The VT does not support the changes made in QT 7. Therefore, even if the new codecs show up in VT, it won't work if you render to them.

And as we've all seen, QT 7 audio won't play through VT audio, either.

Solve the second problem by switching to your motherboard's audio for output.

For doing iPod video, which I do, I recommend rendering to a standard Type-2 DV AVI in VT and then using QT 7 Pro to create the iPod video.

Tom Wood
02-21-2006, 06:19 PM
I'll always defer to Eugene on these matters, but since I've recently been down this road I'd like to add a couple of thoughts.

I do all CGI that is made with LightWave, composited with effects in Mirage, then edited in VT4. So it's hard edge 'cartoony' stuff as opposed to live action video.

For my stuff, I found that by rendering out using the Apple Planar RGB codec gave me the smoothest source file for further compression in QT7 Pro. It's a huge file that is barely, if at all, compressed when it comes out of VT4. It has the .MOV file extension.

I open that file in QT7 Pro and use the 'Export Movie to Quicktime Movie' export function. There, you'll have to make several decisions about the best delivery codec to use and the settings for it. The H264 codec gives the best compression, but requires QT7 to play back. The Sorensen 3 codec can be played back by people still using QT6 but produces a larger file size given the same settings as the H264.

I'm dropping the audio to 22,050Hz in mono since I'm just doing voice, and using a bitrate of 32Kps for the audio. With the video coming out at 133Kps, I'm close to streaming at a total rate of only 165Kps for a 240x360 video window.

I'm about to enter the Huffington Contagious Festival and there's a limit of 15 MB for the entire website that comprises your entry. My 5 minute 3D animation comes out of VT4 at 4.7GB (yikes) using the Apple Planar RGB codec. The H264 codec in QT7 Pro takes that down to about 3MB, the Sorensen 3 codec takes it down to about 6MB. So I'm going to provide both options.

Also, check out the Quicktime help forums at Apple.

HTH

TW

PS: Oh yeah, the 'Movie to iPod' preset in QT7 Pro works too, it uses the H264 codec.

KenBennett
03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
[For doing iPod video, which I do, I recommend rendering to a standard Type-2 DV AVI in VT and then using QT 7 Pro to create the iPod video.[/QUOTE]

What the exact settings for this in VT3? I tried it and it just crashes my QT7 Pro.

Thanks.

ScorpioProd
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
It's been too long since I used VT[3] for me to answer that... In VT[4] I just render out to a Type-2 DV file, which uses the MainConcept DV codec that Newtek has hardwired into it. I think VT[3] could do the same, but I don't really remember.

If you're having a problem with DV files over about 10 minutes long, or about 2.5GB, it may be the version of QT 7 Pro you are using. When I upgraded to 7.0.4, I had this SAME problem, where it would crash when I tried to export it from QT 7 Pro. I downgraded to 7.0.3 and the problem went away.

pashy
07-04-2006, 11:29 AM
So the Ipod uses H264 or Mpeg4 video along with AAC audio. Will Vt4 ever be able to encode in AAC, so we can just go direct to Ipod format?

Please let me know if I am completely OTL for suggesting this.

Phil

ScorpioProd
07-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Well, I'm sure SpeedEDIT/VT[5] will be able to do this, but I wouldn't expect any further development on VT[4].