PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade price confusion....

Edwin SI75
02-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi All,
i am a 8.5 user and might upgrade to 9.
When shopping on the US Newtek page i will pay 395 usd for the electronic download. When i use the EU page however i must pay 395 AND VAT, which makes it a total of: 562 usd !!!

First of all, i don't understand why Newtek didn't use the same price for both continents, but hey, we're getting used to that.

I did find however a Lightwave upgrade (kurvstudios) which lets me buy the upgrade for a US price. Is this allowed? Or am i forced to order at an european shop?

Kind regards,
Edwin

jbcaro
02-21-2006, 03:41 PM
That does seem a little odd since 395 USD converts to about 331 EUR. Unfortunately you have the VAT but I don't think that can account for the extra 231 USD. It doesn't seem fair to me, but then what do I know.

jbcaro

kurv
02-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Edwin S175, we would actually kick your order back to you if your in Europe... Sorry, you would have to order from NTE, they are the ones to contact for sales in Europe.

As far as the price, the VAT is not something that they can avoid...

LightWave 9 is a heck of a deal with Vue and CAD... dont pass it up..

Hope this helps. :D

Edwin SI75
02-22-2006, 01:23 AM
That does seem a little odd since 395 USD converts to about 331 EUR. Unfortunately you have the VAT but I don't think that can account for the extra 231 USD. It doesn't seem fair to me, but then what do I know.

jbcaro

JBarco,
i have to pay 395 euros, which is 470 USD.
(they only changed the dollar into the euro, not converting the amount of money. Most companies do this....ridiculous)
Vat is 19.5% :thumbsdow

Kurv,
thx for clearing that one up.
And i DO think it's a great deal for new users but personally i do not need the cad tools nor Vue (i own 4 pro and don't like it that much).

Thx for answering both, i know what to do now.

jbcaro
02-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Yes, I understand. What I was saying was that if NT wanted to get their 395 USD they should only charge about 331 EUR. Since they are charging 395 EUR then you are right, they are getting a whole lot more for the European version of LW they the US version. And again I say, it doesn't seem fair.

jbcaro

theo
02-22-2006, 11:18 AM
And i DO think it's a great deal for new users but personally i do not need the cad tools nor Vue (i own 4 pro and don't like it that much).

LWCad's name is a bit of a misnomer as its toolset, in my opinion, is downright useful for modeling that goes way beyond just architectural work and no one I know just strictly does organic modelling.

Edwin SI75
02-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Theo, LWCad is indeed a fine tool.
I just don't like the fact i have to pay alot more only because i live in Europe. Maybe it's a bit childish but i find this to be disloyal to your customers.

LWCad is great but i just don't need it right now. Vue, as i said, is just not for me. If i could drop Vue and get some discount i might consider the purchase, but as it is, i won't.

Shame, but i've made up my mind.
Thx all for replying.

FHL
02-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Hello Edwin,
I understand your frustration. I am personally a big fan of Lego and can see Lego sold in the USA for up to 40% less than in Europe (not even considering the VAT - something that is out of the control of companies).

We do our best to offer the best possible price to all NewTek customers everywhere. Sometimes some prices are higher here in Europe.

Do not hesitate to get in touch with our customer service department and enquire about the best options for your upgrade: use our Free calback service - as its name suggests it is Free and we call you back:
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/shop/index.html

Franck Lafage
Managing Director
NewTek Europe

Leo the Lion
02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Hi

I'm with Edwin on this. I am in the UK and I just looked up the best price on an upgrade here. 337.70 inc. Vat. That's $591! Nearly $200 more.

We get this all the time, with cars, computers, TVs. There's no mystery. It's a simple rip-off. Companies know they can get away with these inflated prices in the Eurozone. If you quiz them about it they are vague and never offer a reasonable explanation. Franck? "Sometimes some prices are higher here in Europe." Why? Simply why? This particuarly gauling on software that can be bought as a download with no extra transport or distribution costs.

I'm not upgrading this time. 8.5 does most what I need and I don't want Vue.

jeremyhardin
02-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi

I'm with Edwin on this. I am in the UK and I just looked up the best price on an upgrade here. 337.70 inc. Vat. That's $591! Nearly $200 more.

We get this all the time, with cars, computers, TVs. There's no mystery. It's a simple rip-off. Companies know they can get away with these inflated prices in the Eurozone. If you quiz them about it they are vague and never offer a reasonable explanation. Franck? "Sometimes some prices are higher here in Europe." Why? Simply why? This particuarly gauling on software that can be bought as a download with no extra transport or distribution costs.

I'm not upgrading this time. 8.5 does most what I need and I don't want Vue.
alright. this is ridiculous.

I've lived in both the UK and the US. I have a question to those of you that are complaining about how much more expensive it is when you convert currency.

What currency do you earn? What currency do you live in? Well, that's what you're going to pay in too.

I could ***** and moan all day that I get paid so-and-so dollars and you get paid so-and-so GBP. I mean, if you convert your pay-rate to dollars, that's not fair!

I remember when I was first moved to Scotland, I was poor because I moved with dollars and paid my first bills in GBP. It sucked, and I was complaining to a hungarian friend of mine. He then told me the conversion rate he came from. Yeah. I didn't complain to him anymore.

The moral? Life includes different currency conversion rates. Get over it.

Newtek is a for profit company. You don't like what they do? Don't buy their product and vote with your currency. They could be jacking up the price a lot more than they are.

But the simple fact is this. There's a Newtek-Europe with staff to pay and support. If they charge in dollars, but pay their employees in Euros, how will they make ends meet? Two different costs of living can't play nicely.

I could also ***** about living in the LA area and paying twice as much for everything as everyone else in the US. It's not a big deal, you learn about costs of living, and you learn to deal with it. And if this pisses you off, vote with you're wallet and don't buy from them again.

Edwin SI75
02-24-2006, 05:34 AM
@ FHL,
i did contact customer support and we are looking at the options right now. Thank you for reminding me.

@ JeremyHardin
Whooo there scottish temper :-)
I'm not bitching about anything, i was only inquiering if i could use the Kurv update. NOT to moan about how much greener the grass is "on the other side" but only because i think it's stupid to pay more if i could get it legally for less from Kurv. I'm sorry this offended you (which would be silly because all Newtek employees i've spoken to are not.)
I'm glad i don't live in the US...they got hurricanes :-)

I'm not offended by your post at all, but you might try to reply (civilised) like Newtek employees or you might scare (future) customers. And after all, it's Newtek's business and product, not yours.

Nice movie btw (Barnyard)

Kind regards,
Edwin

jeremyhardin
02-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Hey Edwin,

Hehe. If you notice, I quoted someone else in my reply because it was more directed at someone complaining about car,computer, and tv prices than at you.

But in general, forgive my lack of 'civilisation'. :D I get frustrated when people start to complain before they think things through. You'd much less likely see someone walking into a shop and complaining to the shopkeeper that all the prices are two high and all prices that carry imported goods are too high and they should be the dollar equivalent.

People are much more comfortable complaining on a forum than they would be to actual people, which Newtek and Newtek-Europe actually are, it turns out. :D

jeremyhardin
02-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Nice movie btw (Barnyard)

Kind regards,
Edwin

Oh, and thanks for the kind words for Barnyard. We all think it'll be good, and I personally think it will be hilarious. :D

mattclary
02-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Wow, Jeremy! Lay off the coffee! ;) The guy has a valid point.

The whole point of having currency conversion is to allow international trade of products. If Mexico sells a bushel of corn for 1000 pesos, you don't convert that 1000 pesos to $1000 USD when selling that bushel of corn here in the US. This is exactly what NewTek is doing, they just change that dollar sign to a euro sign. It is easy to see the ridiculousness of the Mexico scenario because the values of the money are so far apart, but that makes it no less valid a complaint when the difference is $100

I don't know why NewTek or NewTek Eu. do it this way, but it is pretty bogus.

jeremyhardin
02-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, Jeremy! Lay off the coffee! ;) The guy has a valid point.

The whole point of having currency conversion is to allow international trade of products. If Mexico sells a bushel of corn for 1000 pesos, you don't convert that 1000 pesos to $1000 USD when selling that bushel of corn here in the US. This is exactly what NewTek is doing, they just change that dollar sign to a euro sign. It is easy to see the ridiculousness of the Mexico scenario because the values of the money are so far apart, but that makes it no less valid a complaint when the difference is $100

I don't know why NewTek or NewTek Eu. do it this way, but it is pretty bogus.
Hehe. I do need to lay off the coffee, I admit.

But when the Mexico company pays reps in the US, would they pay them in Pesos? Definitely not. They'd pay them in dollars. So they'd have to either charge a lot more in general to cover costs of international operation and keep the price the same everywhere (bad for all users) or they'd have to raise the price in the areas where they're paying the reps.

That makes more sense to me, personally (and obviously newtek, apple, and a lot of other companies too.)

mattclary
02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Your argument does have a certain amount of logic to it, though in today's world of electronic file transfers, not sure why NewTek Eu. would have any more costs associated with it than SafeHarbor who resells for the same price NewTek does.

dtkalcec
02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I've also ordered LW 8 here in Europe (from a reseller in Germany) and it did hurt to have to pay the EUR price *and* 16% TAX, which I wouldn't have if I ordered from an online US shop, but ... well ... I will get over it. After all, it's just money ;)

If LW works without cracking up every 60 minutes (which was what was happening to TS7 on my PC), it will be worth every cent to me.

Cheers,
Danijel

mattclary
02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
*and* 16% TAX

Easily resolved with a revolution. Sounds like it's time for a tea party. ;)

Edwin SI75
02-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Taxes are actually the thing that makes the prices so incredibly ridiculous in The Netherlands. 19,6 PERCENT...that's robbery ;-)
Ah well, our social security seems to be one of the best in the world, so it's for a good cause.

Anyway i'm mailing with a Sales Representative right now and it seems i'm going to be convinced to buy LW9 after all...i'm such an easy prey lol.

dtkalcec
02-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok, before a War breaks out ;)

Here's the price from a German reseller ...

LightWave 3D [8] + Vue 5 + Upd. [9] Special! = 804,48 EUR
+ 16% VAT = 922,20 EUR

US price for the same item = $895 (753.24 EUR)

Cheers,
Danijel

Trankonia
03-12-2006, 12:31 PM
While this purchase qualifys for the LWCAD download, does anyone know if that would also include the Vue 5 download as well once the V9 is available after Beta?

regards,

Trankonia

BeeVee
03-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Until v9 is released any purchase will include LWCAD and Vue 5.

B

Trankonia
03-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Until v9 is released any purchase will include LWCAD and Vue 5.

B

Thank you. That would indicate then that when I bought 8.5 at Christmas time, and it was with an automatic upgrade to V9, I should get Vue 5. How will I receive that? Will that be sent when 9 is officially released or via download? I ask this as it seems that others that purchased the upgrade specifically, received Vue 5 already.

Best Reagrds,

Trankonia