PDA

View Full Version : Boolean help?

SLAYER
05-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Hi,
I am trying to learn about booleans. I have the new help files, which are great, but I am still unclear how to utilize booleans in this instance.
I have two pipes forming kind of a 'T' shape. I want them to both be round, but when sub-d'd would like them to be one somewhat smooth entity.
Seems like utilizing one of the booleans, I should be able to get my desired result, but how?
Thanks for any help.
I will try to attach a pic.

hrgiger
05-17-2003, 01:23 AM
SLAYER,

Unfortunately, booleans and sub-d's don't really play well together. Sub-d's only work with 3 and 4 point polygons and booleans pretty much make a polygon no matter how many points are in each one, wherever they intersect.

You can either freeze your sub-d model and then perform the boolean, or, you knife off an area on your tube to smooth shift out another pipe instead of trying to join an existing one.

WizCraker
05-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Here is the quick mini tut to get you started on the joining of two discs such as an elbow joint.

http://www.imagereality.com/Images/NewtekImages/PipeMiniTut.jpg

SLAYER
05-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys.
I am trying to figure the best approach to making my new bike frame. What would you guys do?

SLAYER
05-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Sorry for such the large photo.
Wizcraker, thanks for the tut!

uberslayer™
05-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Maybe rail extrudes?

I would probably use a less organic modeling prog for that kind of thing.

head worm
05-19-2003, 12:58 PM
hi,

I disagree that LW is not good for modeling this kind of thing. I would definitely use Sub'd geometry for this and in order to conquer Nurbs modeling you simply have to master a few techniques for bending, extending and dividing geometry. It's just like learning surgery!

Booleans are not a good starting point because they create messy geometry. Try to begin with a single tube and build it out from there. Tubes are best created by using very low poly elongated boxes. The perfect cylinder can be created by using a four sided, square tube and NURBSing it (TAB key). when you get to solder points, or somewhere you need to extend in a different direction, you will need to learn to use the following tools:

Smooth Shift
Bevel
Band Saw
Band Glue

You can find explanations of these tools individually in the LW manual, but there are a few good little technique tutorials on Newtek's site now. Try to master a new trick a day for a week and you'll pretty much know how to bend, extend and chop up your bike frame in a very short time.

It's quite frustrating to start with, but stick with it, because NURBs modeling is quite therapeutic when you get the hang of it :o)

Cheers

Head Worm
www.the-worms-of-art.com

mattclary
05-19-2003, 01:59 PM
Quick and dirty model using a box as a starting point. Used knife, bevel, and move.

uberslayer™
05-22-2003, 07:37 PM
DIDN'T SAY LIGHTWAVE WASN'T GOOD. But if you had ever used pro engineer or solid works, you would know what you were talking about and you might not run of at the mouth so naively.

Hervé
05-23-2003, 02:04 AM
you might want to check those wonderful tools for modeler

http://www.davidikeda.com/

cheers