PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 7.5c Deletes Everything!!!

Gordon
05-16-2003, 11:28 PM
After having installed lightwave 7.5c upgrade Grace noticed that everything she has ever worked on and saved, 1226 files, was missing from the .../Lightwave7/Scenes directory. It seems likely that the installation deleted everything that alphabetically was past the letter 'c' including a folder named Grace and a folder named Gord.

Now we aren't ruling out user error at this point but you may want to back up your Lightwave 7 directory before you install the upgrade.

BTW, we were able to fully recover all deleted files thanks to R-Studio, a commercial file restore utility.

Rei
05-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Bitchy, but it does state quite clearly somewhere (is that a condridiction) that you should always back up your files before upgrading.

hrgiger
05-17-2003, 07:25 AM
Well, you should never put your own scenes into the Lightwave folder. Things like this happen from time to time. Installing my help file actually erased a lot of my plug-ins for some reason but that's no biggie. That's the reason I have a Lightwave CD.
I definately reccomend that people make a Lightwave Project folder and put it on their desktop or somewhere else that isn't in the Lightwave Program directory.

LSlugger
05-17-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm glad you got your files back. Now, after you've put away the defibrillator, report to General Options and set a content directory. It's very easy to change from one content directory to another:

Modeler > Preferences > Recent Content Directories
Layout > Options > Recent Content Directories

Whether it's Eudora, Netscape, or LightWave, I never leave data files in the program directory. At most, a broken install will wipe out my configuration files, but I try to back those up, too.

WCameron
05-17-2003, 08:24 AM
as near as I can tell theres no new content in the 7.5c update.
what I did was rename my Content, Plugins and Lscript folder to
XX_FolderName.

ran the installer - which created a new Plugins and Lscript
folder - No Content folder...

then copied the new plugin and Lscript folders over the old versions (which thereby overwrote all the old CORE plugins
with new versions, but left everything else alone.

- Will.

Gordon
05-17-2003, 10:22 AM
We did have a backup on another drive, but it was easier to restore. Besides R-Studio did confirm that the files were there, just deleted somehow. I just wanted to warn everyone to never assume that nothing bad can happen with a minor upgrade. It is always good practise to Back Up First.

It really doesn't make any sense that the installer would do this and we're not sure that it is the fault of the install script. We had just upgraded to a 120GB drive from a 60 GB drive, (which was our backup), when this happened so it still may have something to do with that transfer. (I did a byte by byte compare with every file to make sure all the files were copied correctly - Total Commander is an awesome tool for doing this.)

If no one else has had this problem then it really must be something strange on her machine.

In retrospect I think I was wrong in laying the blame on the install script. Even though the files disappeared after the upgrade install, this doesn't mean that the install script was at fault. (It only looks that way). A thought just occured to me today that maybe the system file structure was corrupt somehow from the transfer, (Ghost utility called ImageCast), and the install script was the first thing that was trying to update the directory and was the hapless victim of the corrupted directory table.

StevenDS
05-17-2003, 11:54 AM
7.5c update also deleted MANY MANY files that the original LW 7.5 installation CD installed. (all the sample objects, scenes, surfaces, images, etc. Everything gone).

Also the PDF for the Manual from the 7.5c update seems to be corrupted. (If indeed the 7.5c PDF is any different from the 7.5 or 7.0 PDF)

And the 7.5c PDF for the Motion Mixer was blank.

-Steve
:eek:

TerryFord
05-17-2003, 12:59 PM
I didn't lose the 7.0/7.5 content, but I do have a blank Motion Mixer pdf.

IIRC earlier update/installs liked to delete and move preset directories around.

Regards,
Terry

Adrian Lopez
05-17-2003, 03:59 PM
The Lightwave 3D and Motion Mixer manuals that shipped with the original 7.5 have never opened under Acrobat Reader 5. Unless they were known to work before on your system, it is likely that this is the problem and the install script never replaced the PDFs. You can obtain a working copy of the manuals from the Online_Docs folder in the Lightwave CD.

pauland
05-17-2003, 04:47 PM
I installed 7.5c over 7.5b (made a backup first). The 7.5c install certainly didn't remove any files as far as I can tell. The PDFs still work, the content is still there.

Paul

Gordon
05-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Well of course you didn't have a problem; you backed up first. Murphy's law doesn't apply when you take precautions.;)

We didn't have any problems with any help files, (now that LW is using HTML instead of PDFs files). In fact the new HTML help system is great.

Aegis
05-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Did you do a "custom" install by any chance? I've noticed with the updates that if you uncheck an item whilst installing (plugins for example) it will not only not install the plugins, it'll delete any existing plugin folder too! :eek: This may be what happened if you unchecked "content"...

riki
05-17-2003, 07:59 PM
The official party line on this sort of thing.

"No Pity for Those Who Don't Backup" :D

Okay kick yourself in the butt and don't do it again.

blinblue
05-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Oh, I think I will wait until LW 8 is out, I don't like the idea of getting my files erased (even if I do have backups, you should even ever need to us backups). And it doesn't sound like 7.5c is any big difference...

riki
05-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Oh, I think I will wait until LW 8 is out, I don't like the idea of getting my files erased (even if I do have backups, you should even ever need to us backups). And it doesn't sound like 7.5c is any big difference...

What is LW 8 erases your files?? You should wait for LW9 :-)

blinblue
05-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by blinblue
Well I assume that version 8 is going to be a good upgrade and it would be worth having some files deleted to get it.

riki
05-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Well I assume that version 8 is going to be a good upgrade and it would be worth having some files deleted to get it.

This thread should be called 'Dumb and Dumber'. Why delete any files when you can back them up?

Matt
05-18-2003, 01:51 PM
all my files appear to be there, but I too have a blank motion mixer PDF!!

TerryFord
05-18-2003, 02:18 PM
You've probably got a broken Rest On Ground and invisible SkyGen presets too :rolleyes:

Gordon
05-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Aegis, you may be on to something. I always do a 'custom' install, because I try to never let anything get installed on the 'C:' drive, (except system files). I think I checked everything to be installed but just by choosing 'custom' might explain why somepeople are having a problem and others not.

If you have been assimulated, and do things the Microsoft way, then there is no problem. Those of us that are still rogues and are refusing to be fully assimulated by choosing our own destiny, (or at least where we let installers place files), have a few more problems.

Aegis
05-18-2003, 09:27 PM
Gordon: I've got a similar setup - 3 partitions - System, Apps and Projects - I keep Windows and my apps separate and all my project work plus useful files like services packs, updates etc. go on the Projects drive - makes re-installing Windows much simpler (something I do about once a month).

Deleting content aside (!), the LightWave installer is fairly well behaved - if you pick "Typical" after selecting your LightWave folder it'll do its job just fine without adding garbage to C:

I think NewTek need to tweak the installer a bit though - that or at least explain that unchecking an item in the custom install will also delete those items from your hard disk...