02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
We've added a new LightWave v9 Feature Video to the videos page:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/lw9_demos.php

The new video is Surface Editor: Stress Map Shader
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/StressMaps.mov

jds580s
02-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Looks nice!

Would be a bit better in my book if it had just been a new gradient type available in any section of the surface editor.

Captain Obvious
02-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Seems like a useful tool, but why make a "shader" shader for it? Why not just have the gradient input and hook it up manually in the shader tree?

wacom
02-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Oh so now you guys want everything in the shader tree too! Well let me just tell you...wait I thought the same thing when watching the video!

I also wonder how easy it is to use with displacement...would be cool if you could use it with displacement and to control APS!

Guess I'll have to tinker until we get some answers...

Great video BTW Proton with plenty of examples!

badllarma
02-20-2006, 06:03 PM
very cool and useful :thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
I'll be adding this to every character I do :)

dogbite
02-20-2006, 06:19 PM
will this work for , lets say discplacement maps?

+do morphs work on this

Weepul
02-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Chalk up another vote hoping there's also a gradient node that does this...that would make it even MORE useful! Imagine that! :D

kml12
02-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Nice Feature...

MrWyatt
02-21-2006, 01:17 AM
will this work for , lets say discplacement maps?

+do morphs work on this

at least it says in the video that it does work with morphs I believe it works like this It uses the distance of the vertecies in default position as the base and when the mesh gets deformed by what ever and the vertecies either get closer or further appart the shader defines this region as either compressed or stressed, thus any form of deformer should work fine. but I haven't tried it so far, so it's all just speculation.

Dodgy
02-21-2006, 03:19 AM
Hmm, it might be a bit cyclic if it deforms, since it uses the deformation of polys to calculate the bumps. Thus you'd get it displacing polys, which would then need more bump applied, which would displace more, which would then need more bump applied etc...

Mylenium
02-21-2006, 03:26 AM
Hmm, it might be a bit cyclic if it deforms, since it uses the deformation of polys to calculate the bumps. Thus you'd get it displacing polys, which would then need more bump applied, which would displace more, which would then need more bump applied etc...

Don't see that problem, since this would have to have a deformation order or resort to e.g. the settings for displacement. anyway, just liek the others said it would be so much more useful if this type of gradient input was available everywhere. Could even imagine this working on particles (local compression based on particle distances). Still, a very welcome addition.

Mylenium

dogbite
02-21-2006, 03:56 AM
what if i want one bump map as a normal bump map and one that will only be visible with the stress map

Kuzey
02-21-2006, 04:06 AM
That's very cool and I'm sure it'll get better with each upgrade or two.

Kuzey

pdrake
02-21-2006, 09:12 AM
is the link broken now?

WilliamVaughan
02-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Just tried it here in Orlando and it works fine here

Para
02-21-2006, 10:22 AM
This video single-handedly proves me that LW team is actually listening to their customers since this is something I requested...thank you NewTek, you seem to have at least some hope to regain your place in the league of big names :)

RedBull
02-21-2006, 01:26 PM
This video single-handedly proves me that LW team is actually listening to their customers since this is something I requested...thank you NewTek, you seem to have at least some hope to regain your place in the league of big names :)

Heheeh, I think you can thank Newtek for hiring Jarno and buying TLU's plugins
as i believe Stress Maps, is a TLU creation and not NT....
Regardless, looks like a worthwhile feature..

Para
02-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Heheeh, I think you can thank Newtek for hiring Jarno and buying TLU's plugins
as i believe Stress Maps, is a TLU creation and not NT....
Regardless, looks like a worthwhile feature..

Well, NT has blurred the line between a 3rd party and in-house developer so much that saying something is made by NT doesn't necessarily mean the company :)

Rich
02-21-2006, 05:03 PM
This looks very useful, I can't wait to try it out. Thanks Proton for such a thorough video! :thumbsup:

FranK10
02-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Excellent feature!
And also very good video, Proton.
These are the videos we are looking for: clear and with lot of examples.

pdrake
02-22-2006, 09:07 AM
proton Just tried it here in Orlando and it works fine here

i think it might be my companies firewall. is there an alternative?

FranK10
02-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Another thought:

@Proton and Tesselator:

I've seen that compressing video files that use TSCC codec give incredible result, better with winrar setted at best compression.
For example this video of 57,5 MB could it be (with rar) of 30,7 MB, with 46% saving. Using zip isn't so impressive, but anyway you get about 22% (In this example you get 45 MB).

I tried some of your other files and obtained always at least a 40% of size down.

Here is an extreme example where a file of 1,3 MB is compressed at 93 KB !!
and using zip. With rar you can get half over.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=346572&postcount=4

What do you think?
Should it be possible to use this technique for the next videos? It would be a great bandwidth saving for all of us and your servers also.