PDA

View Full Version : 7.5c Hub and Layout Hang

mrunion
05-16-2003, 10:09 PM
In 7.5 and 7.5b I had no problems using the hub. In 7.5c, whenever I run Layout it is extremely slow -- unusably slow. I backed up, then deleted my .CFG files and reran modeller and layout so they would be "rediscovered" by the hub. Layout was still too slow to use.

I then disabled the hub (command line option "-0") and everything was fine. Is there anything I can check to get the use of my hub back?

Here is a recap of what I did.

1) Backed up .CFG files
2) Installed 7.5c
3) Ran Modeller -- runs fine.
4) Ran Layout -- doggedly slow.
5) Deleted all .CFG files.
6) Ran Modeller and Layout again -- layout was still slow.
7) Deleted lwhub temp files from Windows Temp directory
8) Reran Modeller and Layout -- layout was slow
9) Ran Modeller and layout with "-0" command line option -- layout was fine.

Can anyone help? Loosing the hub isn't terrible, but it does ease things a bit for me when working.

scott_krehbiel
05-17-2003, 10:59 AM
I ran into a similar problem some time ago, when I upgraded to 7.5b. I found that Layout would just hang for about 30 seconds every few minutes. I called Tech Support and they told me to check my firewall software.

Sure enough, the problem was that Zone Alarm was blocking the hub. So I had to tell Zone Alarm to allow Lightwave unlimited access.

This bummed me out about Zone Alarm (not Lightwave's fault) because in a previous version of Zone Alarm I could say whether a program had local or internet access. On this version, you just have to open the floodgates per program. I don't know if this could happen, but I could just imagine my render going really slow because somebody in Tyranzoflavia broke in and started a net render on my machine. :eek: (yeah, crazy ridiculous theories from me, as usual. I'm good at those.) ;)

Anyway, check your firewall, if you have one.
Scott

mrunion
05-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the tip, but no firewall here.

Oh, well. Life goes on.

mrunion
05-17-2003, 07:53 PM
Well, I guess God must be watching over me closer than I thought.

After trying deparately to do everything possible to "speed up" the Layout/Hub issue, I gave up, wrote the original message posted above, then turned the machine off and went to bed.

I've been out all day, but just got home a few minutes ago. I turned on the machine, read the message postings (the Firewall tip given above) and gave my polite "no firewall" reply. Then I ran Lightwave Modeller and Layout. Layout is fine. It responds like always! I musta just needed to reboot Bill's Devil OS.

I'm now in high cotton!! :D :D :D