PDA

View Full Version : Hair?

gottsbett
02-20-2006, 11:21 AM
I have pretty much made up my mind and have decided Lightwave will be my first high end 3d software. I was planning on buying Zbrush but I want to try my hand a animation.

I was just wondering What options does Lightwave have for rendering and animating hair. I have seen Sasquatch. Is that it?

P.S. I can not wait to animate this guy....
http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=27186

hrgiger
02-20-2006, 01:26 PM
At this point, Sasquatch is pretty much you're only option (other then using saslite which is included with Lightwave and all but useless except for some simple fur effects). I've seen some pretty nice hair done with Lightwave polys and texturing.

Sasquatch currently has some limitations that are long overdue for a solution. It only works with certain light types (spotlight shadowmaps) and it is a pixel filter so it does not show in reflections.

I'm hoping one of two things:

1. Worley Labs gets on the f'in ball with Sasquatch 2. I wrote them last year and they said there would be a sasquatch 2 but not anytime soon due to their work on Fprime.

2. Lightwave's new expanded SDK allows someone else to step in and create a more elegant hair solution.

gottsbett
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Wow! That stinks!

hrgiger
02-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Well, I may have understated the value in Sasquatch. It is a great program but suffers the limitations I listed above. I use it and there is a lot of impressive work that has been done with it. But as I said, it's in real need of an update.

GCL
02-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Amazing things can be done with Sasquatch, but as hrgiger said, it is in desperate need of an update.

If possible a price adjustment !

gottsbett
02-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Maybe I am second-guessing my purchase of Lightwave. I have been waiting to buy a more advance 3d software for a long time. Now when I have the money most of the programs I am interested in are involved in a major update. (silo, Zbrush, modo, lightwave)

Lightwave as well as XSI and Cinema 4d was on that list if I decided to get into animation. To do hair with XSI is just too expensive. Cinema 4D is affordable but Lightwave in my opinion has got a lot more muscle then Cinema and I know it is used in a lot of the movies I like.

I am just a hobbyist. I want a program that can do everything I want and more. I am torn between buying Zbrush & Lightwave since I know it will be awhile before I can buy the one I did not.

As for buying Cinema 4D over Lightwave just because I want to render some furry critters, I do not even want to add that into my decision making only because I am tired of trying to figure out the best next step with this hobby.

I think I am going to wait until all the updates are released. Maybe by then there will be some news on Sasquatch 2 or something.

Scott_Blinn
02-20-2006, 06:17 PM
You should Definitely go with lightwave, in my opinion. Zbrush is great, but I would get a full package first, then get zbrush. I own c4d and LW, I prefer lightwave by far for most things. It is the biggest bang for your buck.

I'll second that. For going with "pro" 3d software, nothing beats the deal you get right now with LightWave. Best bang for the buck by FAR for a complete package.

Buy it now though before NewTek stops the sweet LW9 + Vue + LWCAD deal!!!

(I do agree that it is time for LW to have a more updated hair system!)

hrgiger
02-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't think of it as being torn between Lightwave. There is nothing that says you can't use Lightwave and zbrush together. But you probably want Lightwave first if you want a well rounded app.

sudac20
02-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Donít want to highjack your thread but I am selling one of my Lightwave seats with Sasquatch and some other goodies. Check out the for sale thread in forums if your interested.

(I also agree itís past time for Sasquatch 2, bring it on! )

gottsbett
02-20-2006, 09:29 PM
No problem highjacking my thread. I am reading a lot of the posts on hair and it seams to me the two main reasons Lightwave is bald is its SDK (I have no idea what that is) & a fall out with a guy named Joe.

I really find it hard to believe that a program used in so many films and tv shows is bald. Blender does hair! Well so I am told. I hate Blender so much I would rather sell all the plasma in my body and all it could produce in my lfe time to buy Maya before I would ever try Blender again.

Well anyway, I am not holding the hair issue over Lightwave's head :)
It is still on my list and at the top.

AbnRanger
02-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Some of us have been raising a fuss about the matter, as you can tell...we're just out of breath at the moment. :D
A little sucking up to Joe Alter is in order for Newtek, me thinks. I'm hoping we'll at least have some options by v10(other than Sasquatch, which I think is way overpriced for such a dated product... especially considering all of Lightwave's competitors have a MUCH better solution...BUILT IN).

gottsbett
02-21-2006, 04:52 AM
I feel for you. One of my favorite modelers (Amorphium 3) has not had an update since 2003, but there are still some dedicated and new users that would like to see some.

As for the hair package I know that if rendering hair were high on my priorities I would be looking at Maxon right now. I am sure some people like me who are just getting into 3D probably have gone that route.

So if anybody important is reading this thread...

I AM A NEWBIE CASH IN HAND. YOU DO NOT HAVE MY MONEY YET BUT I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE IT TO YOU. GROW SOME HAIR! :(

RedBull
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
At this point, Sasquatch is pretty much you're only option (other then using saslite which is included with Lightwave and all but useless except for some simple fur effects). I've seen some pretty nice hair done with Lightwave polys and texturing.

Sasquatch currently has some limitations that are long overdue for a solution. It only works with certain light types (spotlight shadowmaps) and it is a pixel filter so it does not show in reflections.

I'm hoping one of two things:

1. Worley Labs gets on the f'in ball with Sasquatch 2. I wrote them last year and they said there would be a sasquatch 2 but not anytime soon due to their work on Fprime.

2. Lightwave's new expanded SDK allows someone else to step in and create a more elegant hair solution.

I hope you read just how comically unworthwile the LW9 SDK changes are?
It's kind of annoying that NT have said it's priority, until they released it,
and now there are more important issues at hand.... :)

Lightwaves new expanded SDK.... :)
Yes it is expanded..... But technically LW8.21 had twice as many changes than that of LW9...... At that still makes it obselete.

hrgiger
02-21-2006, 01:54 PM
I hope you read just how comically unworthwile the LW9 SDK changes are?
It's kind of annoying that NT have said it's priority, until they released it,
and now there are more important issues at hand.... :)

Lightwaves new expanded SDK.... :)
Yes it is expanded..... But technically LW8.21 had twice as many changes than that of LW9...... At that still makes it obselete.

I didn't say whether the changes to the SDK were worthwhile or not. I was just hoping they would be.

Newtek is supposedly working closely with Worley on developing the plug-ins to work better with Lightwave. I would hope that Sasquatch will benefit in some way eventually.

gottsbett
02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Ok I do not have LW but I feel something should be done.

Check this out http://www.ephere.com/ornatrix/
It is only $150.00 bucks. A hair plugin for 3dmax. maybe if this whole community emailed the webmaster stating how nice it would be to have this for Lightwave something could be done.

I am editing this in....

They are working on a plugin for XSI. Why not lightwave?

gottsbett
02-22-2006, 04:51 AM
http://www.ibmr.net/Ornatrix/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5499#5499

Start posting

mykyl
02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Hairtrix is the actual hair plugin now. Ornatrix has teamed up with some other plugin folks. Cant for the life of me remember who though. ;) The hair plugin will be a subset of sorts for XSI. I think they ahd issues with certain features being added to XSI. Still would be worthwhile chasing and seeing.

Mike R

jeremyhardin
02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
I contacted the author a while back, and he said he would port it to LW, but didn't know when.

perhaps other inquiries would hurry that process up? ;)

AbnRanger
02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
The other company was HairFX. Prior to Max 8 coming out with Shave N Haircut integrated, HairFX was the dominant Hair/Fur plugin, and works like Sasquatch in many ways. I knew that they had collaborated, but thought Ornatrix was still a separate plugin...cause TurboSquid (Max's Chief Plugin Distributor) coordinated the creation of the collaborative product (HairTrix), but I never saw a link on their site where one could purchase it...just a press release, about 5 or 6months old.
What ya'll waiting on? I posted a reply as well, but if any of you would like to see it ported to LW, help us out here. :D