PDA

View Full Version : Switching without SX-8

Paul Brunson
02-19-2006, 09:35 PM
I don't often do live switching and can't at the moment justify 2500 for the SX-8(4) breakout box.

But can I do basic switching without the breakout box? IE- I'm able to get two inputs via S-Video and the composite connectors on the input cable. But I can't get the switcher to let me switch between the two. Is this just me not knowing how to do it right. Or does Newtek have it set so the switcher will not allow you to switch between S-Video and Composite channels without the box?

John Perkins
02-19-2006, 10:23 PM
It's not an arbitrary limitation. All those connectors run into the same chip on the VT card. You need one full chip per video source so that you can view them at the same time.

Without the extra hardware in the SX8, there's no way to use multiple chips.

If it was easy, we wouldn't have spent the extra money developing the SX-3 for the TriCaster.

Sorry, I wish I had a cheap, easy solution for you.

JReble
02-20-2006, 05:43 AM
Yeah, but when are ya fellows gonna make the sx3 available for the VT4????

I'm dyin' for one here. :cursin:

Ivan
02-20-2006, 07:57 AM
That would be nice.

Ivan

Videonut
02-20-2006, 09:45 AM
It's not an arbitrary limitation. All those connectors run into the same chip on the VT card. You need one full chip per video source so that you can view them at the same time.

Without the extra hardware in the SX8, there's no way to use multiple chips.

If it was easy, we wouldn't have spent the extra money developing the SX-3 for the TriCaster.

Sorry, I wish I had a cheap, easy solution for you.

I know that this has been discussed many times and this woiuld be a good time to bring it up again. Will Newtek ever make a scaled down version of the SX-84? I for one am in the same position as many others, limited use to justify the cost. I cannot think of an instance where I would ever use any more than 3 cameras at one time. I personally think that it would be a very popular item.

JReble
02-20-2006, 11:53 AM
It would be a huge attraction to everyone who doesn't need the SX-84. In my case it's all about the size. I've got an SX-8 and it works beautifully in our control room tied into everything. For desktop or field use, the SX3 is perfect because it can fit in a 5.25" drive bay or external enclosure presumably. I can't imagine what the hang up is if it works with the same hardware on the Tricaster. An uneducated assumption would be that it would simply plug onto the VT4 card and require regular VT software support. If that's the case, let's get goin dudes!

Keith Gandy
02-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Agreed! A smaller scaled-down version of the SX-8 series would definitely be a better option for those of us that look to portability, but still desire the horsepower required by the entire computer (tricaster does not meet our entire needs). A SX-3 would really be a great option.